Chapter 24 - A New Promise

Crocus: "Gwen..."

Gwen: "It's fine, Crocus. I doubt anyone is still looking for me after all these years. Even Sea Cow must've retired by now."

Usopp: "What do you mean this whale is your baby brother?!"

Sanji: "There's no way this giant thing is younger than you!"

Zoro: "And another thing. Why do you keep calling your grandpa by his first name?"

Gwen: "He's not my grandpa. In truth, he's only... five years older than me."

They looked at me like I was crazy, staring at an old man and a little girl.

Gwen: "Forgive me, I suppose I never properly introduced myself. I'm Eternal Child Gwen of the Rumbar Pirates."

I gestured to the tattoo on my arm.

Gwen: "I ate the Age Age fruit when I was 11 and I've been stuck with the body of a child... It has its perks."

When they continued to stare at me wide eyed, I continued explaining.

Gwen: "Laboon is about fifteen years younger than me. He was just a lost little calf when he started following my crew. Then he found me adrift in the sea after I escaped a marine ship. He brought me back, and the Rumbars became my family too... They saved my life..."

I turned away from them and sat on the edge of the small island boat. With questions still bubbling in their minds, the crew turned to Crocus.

Crocus: "Gwen doesn't reveal her true age to many passers through. Laboon on the other hand... all who see him ask the same questions. Why does he continually strike his body against the red line? Why does he keep howling at reverse mountain? Listen closely, and I will reveal to you their tragic story..."

They gathered around him while I kept my back to them, pretending I wasn't listening... But I'm always listening.

Crocus: "One fine, sunny day, while I was fulfilling my duties as the lighthouse keeper. Some good natured pirates came down reverse mountain. Along with them, a little girl and a baby whale, both spry and chipper. They'd come to know these pirates as family, travelling with them for much of their journey."

I sat stroking the tattoo on my arm as all these memories flooded back to me.

Crocus: "But knowing the dangers of the Grand Line, the pirates chose to leave Gwen and Laboon behind in the West Blue. But these stubborn children followed them anyway."

A pained smile crossed my face as I reminisced...

Gwen: "Hiii! Fancy seeing you here, Rumbars!"

Crew: "HUUUUUUHHH?!! GWEN?!!"

Yorki: "When did... How... Gwen, you were the ghost in the cargo hold?!"

Gwen: "Heheh, that was a good one, huh?

Yorki: "You've been stowing away with us this whole time?!"

Gwen: "It's not stowing away if I'm part of the crew, silly."

Crocus: "But the wear and tear on their ship was quite severe so they stayed here for several month. In that time, I too was able to forge a close relationship with them. Thus, when the day of their departure finally arrived, their captain asked me to take care of their children until they returned."

I fought back tears, remembering our last words to each other as we waved goodbye.

Yorki: "Gwen! Laboon! This'll be the last time we say goodbye! I promise we're coming back! We're your family! Nothing will ever change that!"