Chapter 8 - Tracked Down

Another couple hours passed. Laboon whimpered as I sat on the beach, absentmindedly drawing in the sand with a stick.

Gwen: "Don't worry, brother. I'm sure they're okay. I have faith in our crew. You do too, right?"

I stroked his head as he nodded.

Gwen: "That's it. Look here, see. I drew you."

I giggled as he cheered up at his portrait in the sand. But something on the horizon caught my eye.

Gwen: "Hey, there's a ship out there."

I stood up as Laboon turned to see it too and I walked closer into the water, squinting at the boat in the distance.

Gwen: "There's a... marine ship out there... A marine ship that's... Coming straight towards us!"

Dread rose within me as I concluded that was definitely a marine ship headed in our direction.

Gwen: "It's Sea Cow... He found me!"

Laboon turned back to me and squeaked to see me running towards the jungle.

Gwen: "Gotta hurry, gotta hurry!"

I pulled a big piece of bark from a tree and grabbed a sharp stone before running back to Laboon in the water. I sat on the sand and scrawled a message on the bark with the stone. Meanwhile Laboon was crying, afraid of whatever was going to happen next. I stood up, glancing over my brother to see the ship getting closer.

Gwen: "Shh, Laboon listen to me very carefully. Take this and go underwater. No matter what happens, no matter what you hear STAY DOWN THERE until you see their ship leave."

He took the tree bark in his mouth, whimpering.

Gwen: "Pay attention to which way the ship goes... and then make sure you give this to Captain Yorki."

He shook his head not wanting me to go.

Gwen: "I know it's risky, but I don't have any other choice! Laboon, please just do as I say. I know you can do it, brother. I'll be just fine. I trust you and our crew."

He whimpered, still worried about me as I gave him one more hug.

Gwen: "They're almost here... Go now!"

And watched him disappear beneath the waves.

Segawa: "Eternal Child Gwen!"

He was speaking into a transponder snail, broadcasting his voice.

Segawa: "I'll have you know we've been tracking you ever since you fled from our ship! And now it seems you've become a pirate after all, just as I suspected!"

Gwen: "So what if I am?!"

Segawa: "Keep giving me reasons, kid, I'll chase you all over the West Blue if I have to! Or you turn yourself in right now, thus making this easy on all of us! Choose wisely!"

It was probably just delaying the inevitable, but I wasn't just going to waltz into custody without putting up some kind of fight. I took a deep breath, readying myself for whatever was about to happen.

Gwen: "You want me? COME AND GET ME, CAPTAIN SEA COW!"

I pulled a face at them and ran into the jungle. If I was going to be taken, then I was gonna be one hell of a nuisance first!

Segawa: "Cheeky little shit! ALL HANDS ASHORE! Squad A, find that brat and bring her to me alive!"

Squad A: "SIR, YES SIR!"