~Chapter 16~

•1 week later•

We had been hanging out a lot more and he would usually accompany me to work. And when he didn't, he always picked me up and had food for me. The gang had already known about us ever since the day after the night on the porch. Yeah, he decided to burst into the cafe that we decided to meet at and yell that we were together now. They were all really happy and excited, especially Lu-chan. She told me she knew it would happen sooner or later. Mirajane seemed pretty ecstatic, too.

We went to the hospital everyday to check on Mum and more than half of the time they would say she is showing even more signs of waking up and that she should wake up any time now. That made me happy and this time Gajeel didn't seem so upset about it. He knew I would leave him.

"How was work?" He asked as we left the library parking lot.

"Boring as usual," I laughed and he grinned at me. He already turned right, towards the hospital because that's where we went everyday after work and in the mornings when I don't have work.

"Missing me the whole time I bet," he playfully nudged my arm and grinned.

"You wish," I laughed back. We kept joking around until we got to the hospital. I tried to keep my distracting him to a minimum while still talking to him in fear of the same thing happening all over again. That fear was always in the back of my head, haunting me, saying that I will cause the same thing again. I was about to say something else but the radio started playing Lost Boy by Ruth B.

There was a time when i was alone

No where to go and no place to call home

My only friend was the man in the moon

And even sometimes he would go away too

I sang along with the rest of the lyrics until we pulled into the hospital parking lot. We walked in and up to the front desk to check in. We had visited so much that the already knew who we were and who we were here to visit.

"Ms. McGarden," the lady smiled cheerfully, "we have some wonderful news for you."

"Yes?" I smiled and the anticipation was building.

"Follow me," she led us down the long, white halls instead of telling us. She stopped in front of the door to block out way. "Finally, your mum has awaken." She moved out of the way and opened the door for us.

I was speed walking and already through that door before Gajeel took one step. I could finally see her after so long.

"Hey Mum," I smiled brightly as I stood next to her.

She opened her eyes and blinked a few times before looking up at me and smiling.

"Hey, darling," she smiled back. Gajeel stood by the door as he let us have our own time at the moment.

"It's been too long," I smiled even wider as tears slid down my cheeks.

"The doctor told me how long I had been out," she smiled but the tears in her eyes were obvious. "I'm sorry for leaving you for so long."

"No," my voice cracked but I tried to hide it. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been joking around while you were driving." I apologized.

"Hush," was all she said as she pulled me into a long hug. We stayed like that for a few minutes until I remembered that Gajeel was in the room. I pulled away and looked towards him which my mum noticed.

"Oh yeah," she looked at him also. "Who is this young man?"

"Mum, this is Gajeel, Gajeel Redfox," I turned and motioned towards him. "Gajeel, this is my mum," he nodded, grinned, and gave her a small wave.