You Need Help Outta The Truck Too?

ᴊᴜɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏɴᴅ ʙᴏʏ

as the weeks went by, james and i tried not to lose touch after we ate our food that day, by hanging out every few weekends. our hanging out usually consisted of me rambling on about something that happened at school or how nervous i was for graduation. james usually just sat back on my bed and listened while munching on chips, occasionally mumbling a "yeah." in response.

my aunt and uncle ended up moving in with me since i couldn't be alone, as i was only seventeen years old, but i stubbornly refused to leave my house so they left theres to keep an eye on me.

now i was making my way over my yard to james' just as he opened the front door and bolted past me with a pan in his hand. "what the hell're you doing?" i furrowed my brows, following him into the other side of his yard. he lived on the corner house so his yard was bigger than others. "is that.. bacon?" i asked as i looked down at the burnt twig-looking strips that he dumped in the grass. "and eggs." he said, revealing the pan to me.

"oh god, ew!" i covered my nose, backing away a little. "you asked." he shrugged, using a spatula to scrape the carbonized food off the pan.

after a few more minutes of james dumping the charred dinner, he decided we could just go out for dinner instead. i wasn't very fond of the idea that we'd be eating breakfast for dinner anyway.

as we approached his truck, he held the keys out to me. "what?" i asked as he placed them in my hand.

"you're gonna learn how to drive." he said.

i widened my eyes. "no. mm-mm." i hummed, shaking my head and backing away from my hand as if the keys were poisonous. "yeah, come on." he pushed me around to the drivers side. "why?" i whined. he kept his hand on my back as he used the other one to open the door, then practically shoved me in. he spoke as he got into the passenger's seat. "you can't be a passenger princess forever. i won't drive you everywhere." james and i both knew that wasn't true. he'd drive me anywhere, but he wouldn't say it out loud.

i took a deep breath and exhaled it with a loud groan.

"put the key in the ignition." he said. i gave him a look of 'yeah, duh. i know.'

i put the key in and almost twisted it as he spoke up again. "now turn it."

i glared at him and saw that he had a shit eating grin growing on his face. he knew how to piss me off.

i turned the key and the truck rumbled to life. i was able to safely get it out of the driveway before stopping abruptly, sending james forward.

he made some type of choking sound as the seatbelt pressed hard onto his throat before sitting back and scolding me. "don't do that!" he raised his voice.

"i don't wanna go out anymore." i grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest.

"there are people behind us, fucking go." he hissed, looking in the rearview mirror at the cars behind us. "no." i refused.

just as he moved to press my knee down so my foot would hit the gas, i pressed hard and sped down the street a bit, slowing down and turning a corner. "there, now there's no one behind us." i shrugged. "let's just stay here. i like it more."

i hit the breaks too hard again, sending james forward again. "stop fucking doing that!" he shouted.

"stop yelling!" i raised my voice at him. "you're yelling too! just fucking drive!" he said, not lowering his voice at all.

"no! i don't wanna go to that stupid diner again!" i argued. "fine, we can go to the fucking store and make food at home, okay?" he tried to compromise with me.

"my aunts home." i said, not dropping my guard one bit.

"you're killing me, whitlock." he rubbed his temples. i rested my arms at his words.

"you know what, fine. just cause i don't want to be a passenger princess forever, especially if it means you're driving." i said, finally driving down the road. i actually wasn't too bad of a driver, i kinda just did it to piss him off.

we got onto the busier streets and i looked over at james for some kind of peace of mind or something. he just looked at me and bawled his eyes toward the light that was now green. i sighed and he continued giving me directions and instructions until we made it to the small market.

i turned the vehicle off and huffed loudly, slumping my shoulders. "good, you did it without killing us. come on." the blond boy next to me said, hopping out of the truck. he went around the hood and blinked at me through the windshield as i sat staring back at him. he rolled his eyes and came up to my door, opening it and leaning down to meet my eyes.

"you need help out of the truck too, princess?" he said sarcastically.

i shot my eyes away from him as my cheeks grew hot. both of us knew he didn't mean it that way, but i couldn't help but blush for some reason. i've hated this kid since fifth grade, why does he make me feel this way?

"move." i grumbled, unbuckling my seatbelt and hopping out. i shoved the keys against his chest and stomped up the darkened parking lot, lit only by the suns last rays and a few flickering street lights. i heard james chuckle as he caught up to me but i spared no looks in his direction.

we wordlessly got the stuff we needed for dinner then made our way back home, this time i refused to drive.

"you're so stubborn." he laughed and shook his head as he turned the truck on.

a/n

title of this chapter is a pearl jam reference. i know, stupid right? i couldn't help myself though hehe