The Nicest Guy You've Ever Met

ᴊᴜɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏɴᴅ ʙᴏʏ

it was april sixth. easter. the holiday brought up a lot of bittersweet memories of my parents and i, so it was a little hard getting out of bed that morning.

i lay buried in the overstuffed covers of my bed while the wind blew through my open window, making the sheer curtains sway. i had woken up about an hour ago and i'd been in bed since.

closing my eyes, i slowly began drifting away until a dark shadow cast over my eyelids, blocking the sun. "don't tell me it's raining." i groaned, opening my eyes. "oh." i frowned.

"what do you mean oh? fuck off." the blond boy scoffed as he climbed through my window. "you're blocking the sun." i said, closing my eyes again.

"you know, you could always just go outside instead of staying in the dark all day."

"i like the dark." i replied.

"okay count dracula." james laughed. "go away." i grumbled, readjusting the blankets. "i gotta talk to you about something real quick." he sat on the bed next to me. "what is it this time?" i sighed, knowing what he was about to say.

"just hear me out, okay? he's not what you think he is."

"that's ominous." i wiggled my eyebrows, moving so i could look at him better.

"when we were at tristan's party..." he began.

"oh my god, guess what!" i interrupted him, smiling brightly. "huh?" he looked at me.

"russell and i are dating. officially."

james' face fell. "oh yeah?" he raised his eyebrows. "how'd that happen?"

i sat upright. "well, just before he went to say hi to you, he just popped the question. right there! and of course i said yes, cause he's like— the nicest guy i've ever met."

"the nicest guy you've ever met, huh?"

"totally. he has such good manners, he's so polite and—" i was cut off by the phone ringing. "oh, that might be him." i giggled, taking the phone off the receiver. "hello?"

"hey, june. you doing anything for easter today?"

i recognized russell's voice. "no, no i'm not." i blushed, assuming he'd invite me over.

"oh. well me neither, so you wanna hang out?"

"sure, sure. you wanna come over here? i'm sure my aunts planning like— a huge dinner."

"sounds good. i'll see you in an hour or so."

i hung up and looked back at james, smacking my hand over my mouth. "see? he's so nice."

"yeah, real nice." he said bluntly. "you wanna hang out here too?" i bumped his shoulder. "for dinner?"

"yeah, i guess." he shrugged, flopping back on my bed and looking up at the ceiling.

james' p.o.v.

i can't blame june for being so indulged with russell, but he's just not good news. at all. and now i'm left with the job of breaking the news to her that russell is really just a piece of shit who was betting on her and he doesn't actually like her, so now i'm gonna look like the asshole. every time i grew the nerve to tell her, something would interrupt me, and every time it just made the guilt rise higher and higher.

"i have to get ready!" june scrambled off the bed and sat down at her vanity. "oh, so you couldn't get outta bed for me but now that lover boy's on his way you get right up?"

"mhm." she hummed, putting some random stuff on her face.

i thought about what june said for a minute. "hey, you said he popped the question right before he..." i trailed off, waiting for her to answer.

"right before he went and said hi to you."

huh. that's funny.

"he's got a weird way of sayin' hi."

"huh?" she looked at me through the mirror.

"nothing." i muttered, leaving the room to use the bathroom.

june's p.o.v.

"hey tracy, russell's gonna come over and have dinner with us tonight." i entered the kitchen and immediately smelt the food my aunt was cooking. "oh, good! you should invite hayden too." she smiled.

i shrugged and gave hayden a call, asking if she wanted to come over too.

"tell her to bring weed." james came around the corner, poking my side. i sighed. "james said to—"

"bring weed, got it."

"okay, i'll see you later." just as i hung up there came a knock on the door. i felt my heartbeat speed up a bit as i rushed over and opened it, revealing russell.

"hey babe." he smiled. "you look nice." his eyes scanned over my outfit. "thanks, you do too." i grinned, moving aside so he could come in.

"russell! nice of you to join us." james chirped as he approached russell, grabbing his hand and shaking it a little too aggressively.

"don't be a little bitch." i hissed quietly, tugging on a strand of his hair.

"jimmy. nice to see you again."

"james." he corrected, then walking back into the kitchen.

"i'm sorry. i don't know what his problem is." i apologized to russell on behalf of james, then taking his hand and leading him toward the kitchen.

"no worries. i dunno why he hates me so much." russell shrugged.

russell and i hung out for a bit in the living room while james strayed off to help my aunt in the kitchen. i could tell he didn't like russell, but i couldn't pinpoint it.

hayden arrived just as the oven dinged and i let her in and she greeted everybody, eventually going off to speak to russell.

"june-bug, would you set the table for me?" tracy asked softly, pulling the oven mits on her hands.

"yeah." i stood up and began grabbing silverware from the drawer as james approached me. "i'll help." he mumbled, pulling the napkins from their holder.

"thanks." i smiled, to which he smiled back at me, but it didn't reach his eyes.

we set out the napkins and silverware, then james had to help me grab the nice plates from the top shelf of the cabinet.

"thanks." i chuckled as he handed me six plates. "no problem, short stack." he ruffled my hair as he walked toward the cabinet that held the glasses.

"short stack?" i furrowed my brows, blinking at him.

"yeah." he shrugged, brushing past me.

a/n

another short one, i know. i just wanted to show a little bit of june and russell together even tho this is still mostly june and james LMAO