The Kiss That Almost Happened

ᴊᴜɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏɴᴅ ʙᴏʏ

"What kiss?"

I felt my blood run cold, from a mix of anger and fear that I was going to get punched in the face by one best friend and kicked in the ass by the other.

"The- the kiss." James' stuttered with wide eyes.

"The kiss that didn't happen. I don't know what she's saying..." James moved passed me to approach Hayden.

My blood turned blazing hot, the misty wind keeping me cool on the outside. I stomped over to them, locking my gaze with James' as Hayden glanced between us, her face unreadable.

"The kiss that almost happened. That night in the kitchen," I stopped myself when his eyes darkened to match the brewing storm around us, almost as if he was silently warning me not to say another word.

"What night in the kitchen?" Hayden asked again.

James looked me up and down, shoving past me and leaving me to fend for myself in this hellish storm with the spawn of Satan.

I gulped as Hayden waited for a response, repeating her question.

I groaned, rolling my eyes. "God, nothing! Just go inside before you get washed away by the ocean." I stormed away from her, making my way back to the house where James was sliding the back door open.

"June!" Hayden barked. "Come on, I don't wanna fight with you over a stupid boy! Just tell me what's going on! Please!"

I abruptly planted my feet at a stop, whirling around to face her. "He's not just a stupid boy, Hay! He's my best friend, and—" I was sure the disgust was clear on my face, "— your boyfriend... or— fuck buddy, or whatever you guys call yourselves!"

"Why does that bother you so much?!" she sighed exasperatedly, rain beginning to pour down upon us.

"Because!" I looked up at the sky, closing my eyes as the raindrops fell on my face. "Because..." I looked back at her, shaking my head as I contemplated my next words.

"Because when you asked me if I'd mind... I said I wouldn't," I looked away, unable to meet her intent gaze. "Well, funny story, I kinda do mind."

"What?" her face fell slightly.

"I mind! I mind that my best friend is dating the guy that I—" I stopped myself from falling into the grave that I'd been digging.

"That you love." she added, finally resting her shoulders.

I shrugged, pursing my lips as tears threatened to fall once more. "Yeah..." I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

She shook her head in what seemed to be regret and disbelief, and I could see the glossiness in her own eyes. "God, June... if you would've just told me, I... I wouldn't have gotten involved with him..."

"I know." I sighed, dropping my hands to my sides once more. "I just.. I was afraid of what he'd think, and I was afraid of rejection, and..." I laughed dryly.

"I mean, I didn't even have to tell him to get rejected, so I guess it doesn't even matter whether or not you guys are together now."