I Could Never Hate You

ᴊᴜɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏɴᴅ ʙᴏʏ

"Hey junior." the blond boy before me grinned. Even in the moonlight, it glimmered, and pulled at the corners of my own lips.

I laughed nervously. "What are you..?"

"Are you gonna give me a hug, asshole?" walking closer with his arms open, he interrupted me. I practically flung myself into them, wrapping my arms around him and holding on for dear life.

"I thought you hated me." I breathed into his chest after a minute.

"You kidding?" I felt his body shake with laughter. "I could never hate you, Whitlock."

Shit.

I missed you, I wanted to say. I wanted to yell in his face how bad I missed the bastard. Instead, I gripped his jacket tighter in my hands. I waited for him to crack a joke like, you're suffocating me, but he only returned the tight hug.

"You have to tell me everything— even though I'm not sure I wanna know anything about this place..." he joked, eyeing the dimly lit sorority house suspiciously.

"Shut up." I laughed softly, finally pulling away from the hug.

"Look, uh... I gotta be back before midnight, but we can go get some food?" I suggested. He nodded, stepping further into the house.

I lowered my voice as I padded toward the bedrooms. "Boys aren't allowed in the rooms, so be really fucking quiet."

He nodded, dragging his fingers across his lips and then tossing an imaginary key. I shook my head, holding in my laughter at his antics.

"Hey, at least you got your own room. I thought you had to share with people." he whispered once we entered my room and I shut the door quietly.

He rambled on quietly about the little knick-knacks and posters in my room as I pulled my worn converse on, then reaching for my keys on the nightstand before pausing. "You wanna just take your truck?" I asked. Honestly, I missed the old clunker.

He nodded. We left the room and ended up tripping over each other in the darkness of the living room. Unfortunately, James landed on top of me, and I got the wind knocked out of me as he was laughing his ass off.

"Shut up, bitch!" I hissed, slapping my hand over his mouth before pushing his lanky body off of me. "Let's go." I muttered. He finally stood up, following me outside and leading me toward his truck.

"College campuses are kinda creepy at night." he thought aloud. "Never know what kinda psychos go to school here."

I let out a soft chuckle, glancing in his direction and double taking when I saw him eyeing me suspiciously. "What? Oh, you think I'm the psycho?" I scoffed.

He quickened his pace, side eyeing me before taking off toward his truck. "Stranger danger!"

"Hey, stop! What if there are actually psychos out? You're leaving me right in the hands of them!" I whisper-yelled, trying to stay quiet as I bolted after him.

When I got to the familiar truck, James was nowhere to be found. How the hell did he hide that fast?

Suddenly, two arms wrapped around my waist and picked me up off the ground. "What if you already are in the hands of them?" James mocked in a sinister voice.

I let out a yelp that he quickly silenced with his palm, dropping me back on the ground. I turned around in his arms, snatching the keys from his jacket pocket before shoving him away and jumping in the truck.

"Okay, not funny. What if— wait... what's..." James trailed off, looking off in the distance. "What is that?" his voice was muffled on the other side of the window.

I furrowed my brows, swallowing thickly. "No. That's  not funny. Stop it." I looked in the direction he was looking, not finding anything and turning my attention back to James just as he let out a girlish shriek, and he disappeared below the window.

"James?!" I called, keeping the door closed as I tried to see below the window. "James!" I shouted again, pushing the door open.

"Ah, fuck..." James groaned, falling on his back on the cement road and rubbing his head. "That backfired."

"You're such an ass." I couldn't hold back my laughter at the way his plan did in fact backfire.

-

james' p.o.v

I threw my head back in laughter as June finished telling me about some of the crazy things the fraternities did for initiation.

"Yeah see, if that were me, I'd run home crying after the first day." I laughed, chomping down on my French fries.

We sat in the truck, parked in the dark parking lot of a burger place neither of us had heard of. It was quiet for a moment as we continued eating, until she wiped her mouth and spoke up.

"You know, I really thought you'd never speak to me again after that day in your garage."

I stopped chewing, looking over at her before swallowing my food and clearing my throat. "Shit."

I remembered how rude I was to June that day. Yelling at her to get the fuck out of my house and ripping the cord from her hand. The sight of hurt and betrayal written all over her pretty face just before she stormed out was absolutely heart-wrenching. And it was all my fault.

"I'm really sorry, Junior. I didn't mean to be so aggressive with you, I was just... I was being an ass 'cause I didn't want you to leave. I didn't mean to take it out on you like that."

She nodded. "I'm sorry for what I said too. It was uncalled for."

I shook my head, looking out at the dark parking lot. "It was only the truth. Even if it hurts, it's true."

She shot her head up, furrowing her eyebrows at me. "No it's not. It's not true. I said it 'cause I was angry. But it's not true. You're gonna leave that place, and you're gonna be something." she said firmly. "Shit, me?" she chuckled. "All I'll be is a housewife, stuck in Downey."

"That's not true." I shook my head. "Unless you're my housewife, that ain't happenin'." I dipped a fry into the fry sauce cup.

"What?! James!" she scolded, letting her hair fall in front of her face to hide the prominent blush.

"Well, I've done my daily duty of making you all flustered. You wanna get outta here?" I turned the key into the ignition as she only nodded, keeping her head down as she ate the last of her fries.

unedited, mind any mistakes !

thoughts, predictions?

vote, comment, follow!