Core Memories

ᴊᴜɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏɴᴅ ʙᴏʏ

"Ya know," Tracy began, shutting the oven door and pulling the mitts off her hand. "I'm really glad you and James are talking again."

She leaned against the counter, looking at me with a soft gaze as I cut up vegetables. "It's a real shame what happened with Hayden. I know you two were close."

I frowned, nodding in agreement. "Yeah, it is. I just can't be friends with someone who could do that to my best friend— or anyone."

Aunt Tracy and I were preparing dinner in the kitchen. James and Taylor were in the living room chatting about football while a game played on the TV. I glanced at the blond boy just as his head fell back with warm laughter after a joke Taylor made. I felt my lips tug into a smile, and Tracy let out a quiet laugh.

I looked at her with furrowed brows as she shook her head at me. "What's funny?"

"You are so whipped for that boy." she said quietly. My shoulders slumped. "Hey," she said, noticing my frustration.

"It's not bad." she came closer to me, pulling the trash can over so I could swipe the scraps off the counter. "But... are you gonna tell him? I mean.. you can't keep your feelings to yourself forever, right?"

I sighed, picking up the knife again and slicing a cucumber.

To my silence, Tracy sighed and moved around the counter again. "If you don't, I just might have to."

Her absurd words caused me to whip my head in her direction, the movement causing the knife to slip and inevitably cut my left index finger. "Ow!" I cried, dropping the knife and inspecting my finger.

In a second, Tracy had disappeared, muttering something about finding more eggs in the garage refrigerator. But as quick as she was gone, someone else was here.

Directly behind me, his chest against my back as he leaned over to see and grab my hand. James sighed softly, still not saying a word.

"You okay?" Taylor was in the kitchen a moment later. "I'll go get the first aid kit."

"Um— yeah," I shook my head in confusion as James lead me over to the sink. I was so caught up in the feeling of his skin on mine that I couldn't even control my own movements. He was doing it for me. He held my hand still, flipping on the sink and guiding my hand under the warm water.

I let out a hiss, instinctively pulling my arm back. "Yeah, yeah, I know." James muttered, probably rolling his eyes. Reluctantly, I put my hand back under the water.

"You gotta be more careful, Junior." he scolded lightheartedly. I could feel his breath against my neck as he sighed again, shaking his head.

I apologized for my clumsiness. "It's fine," he laughed softly, "'long as you want little scars all over your hands."

I sighed in frustration, pulling my hand away swiftly when the water grew too hot. The fast movement caused my elbow to go straight into his rib. He doubled over, groaning quietly. "Sorry," I gasped.

He mumbled another breathless "it's fine." as I stepped back.

As if the universe was a puppeteer and I was its puppet, I stepped on his foot. His sock covered foot, with my Doc Marten clad foot. "Shit!" he jumped back, limping away.