The School Dance Of 1969

ᴊᴜɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏɴᴅ ʙᴏʏ

"James! What are you doing here?" Aunt Tracy grinned, bringing the neighbor boy into a hug.

"Came to abduct this one. Bring her back home." James responded, grabbing my shoulder and pulling me closer to him. "Where she belongs." he added, gazing back into my eyes a little too long.

"Oh, great! I'll help you with that." Tracy laughed. I assumed it'd been a long time since they'd seen each other since we fought and I left.

"Nice to see ya, kid." my uncle snorted, tugging on a strand of James' hair that'd grown out a lot.

Suddenly, I felt an arm loop around my shoulders. I looked over to see Hayden smiling at my aunt and uncle. "Hey guys."

"Oh, Hayden!" Tracy pulled her away from my side to bring her into a hug.

"Hayden's coming with us." I commented, just as another arm landed over my shoulders. This time it was Lars.

"Oh, hey Lars." I grinned, putting my arm around his waist. My uncles eyes landed on him a second later, then he held his hand out for him to shake. "You gonna throw another tennis ball at my head?"

Lars chuckled nervously, shaking Taylor's hand. "No sir."

James cleared his throat dramatically. I looked over to see him tapping his foot on the ground with his arms crossed, looking anywhere but at me, making it obvious that he needed my attention as if he was a puppy.

I introduced Lars to James, but he didn't seem too fond of the Dane. He certainly noticed the Motörhead shirt and the drum sticks in his back pocket though.

After my aunt and uncle finished fawning over Hayden, James noticed her. I didn't miss the way his eyes scanned over every inch of her, lingering over her chest. Now that I think about it, she does look a lot different than before. By now she'd of course grown a set of breasts and her curves had become more defined after puberty in junior high.

"Hey, Hayden." A grin slowly grew on James' face. She turned to face him, eventually mirroring his grin when she saw his own.

Oh god.

I'm not jealous.

Although I'd been tuning out their cheesy conversation, I must've burnt holes with my stare at their quick shift in body language.

I shook my head, darting my eyes away just before James' gaze landed on me and his brows furrowed.

"Can we go?" I asked, growing tired of standing in the courtyard of my school.

"Yep!" my aunt chirped, snapping herself out of whatever conversation she was in with Taylor and Lars.

As we walked to the car, James sped up to walk beside me. "You really gotta fix that natural scowl, Junior." he nudged my shoulder a little too hard, knocking me off balance a bit.

"Why do you always call me Junior?" I grumbled, "you're not even that much older than me."

He shrugged. "I'm still older. So that makes me Senior, and you, Junior." he offered me a lazy smile.