Happily Ever After

ᴊᴜɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙʟᴏɴᴅ ʙᴏʏ

"June plus James, 1981."

Oh, how naive I was.. however long ago that was. It felt like a lifetime ago, the times you would say such sweet words to me. Nowadays I can't even get a "hello, how are you?" when we run into each other outside of our houses.

"You're killin' me, Whitlock."

No, Hetfield. You're killing me; you've run me over with your old clunky truck and strangled me to death with your guitar strings.

I'd let you do it all over again if it meant I could take back that entire weekend at my Grandma's beach house.

"I could never hate you, Whitlock."

If it meant I could hear those words again.

"I'm gonna marry you one day."

If I could see your crooked smile again-

"JUNE!"

I must've gone into cardiac arrest for a good five seconds when two hands grabbed my shoulders, and Hayden's obnoxious voice disrupted the silence of my bedroom. The journal I'd been pouring my heart into, flew out of my hands and flopped on the carpeted floor. A lot like my actual heart.

"Fuck—" I barked. "What?!" I whipped my head around, undoubtedly giving my neck a good crook. My furious eyes met Hayden's amused ones as she burst out laughing.

I rolled my eyes, moving off my bed with a huff. "How did you even get in here?" I asked, taking in my disheveled appearance in the mirror above my dresser.

The last time I spoke to James was that weekend at my Grandmother's house. You know the one?

"I don't see a future with you!"

Yeah, that one.

Hayden and I on the other hand, had gotten past our little feud, joining each other at the hip every day to keep each other company.

Now, you may (definitely) think I'm crazy for it, but hear me out.

After a long and awkwardly silent drive back home from Grandma's house, Hayden was the one to speak to me first. Well, at all. James only lugged his bag up his driveway and disappeared into his house.

"Listen, Jay.." she began.

I sighed, turning around to face her soft gaze.

"I'm sorry that it took me so long to realize how you felt about him. I feel like a total bitch... I mean, I was.." she sighed softly, glancing at her shoes.

I nodded in agreement. Total bitch.

"But I was bored, and honestly, I was lonely, and James was right there... so I just went for it, but soon I realized your feelings about the whole thing and how I was so wrong for doing that to you.. for being a jealous whore and, well, just a flat out whore..." she mumbled the last part, briefly widening her eyes.