Chapter 12

Carmen stood on the deck of the ship, her raincoat soaked through as she gazed out at the stormy sea. The wind howled around her, but she barely noticed, lost in thought.

Player: (through communicator) You're risking your neck on Coach Brunt's word without even trying to talk to Shadowsan?

Carmen: (sighs) So he can tell me half-truths like always? No, Player. I'll learn what there is to know about my family on my own, the only way I know how. I'm going back to VILE Island.

Ivy and Zack exchanged worried glances.

Ivy: She said she'd never go back.

Zack: Yeah, well, I said I'd never go back to that cheesesteak joint in Southie after it made my guys explode, but those peppers and onions...

Ivy: (glares at Zack) If you say anything to upset Carmen, my fist is going to make your guts explode.

Carmen turned to face them, her expression determined.

Carmen: Every mission in VILE's history is archived on their mainframe. I'll infiltrate the server room and sync you in so you can download the case files. It'll be just like old times.

Player: (through communicator) Red, are you sure this isn't one for ACME?

Carmen: (frustrated) Coach Brunt's little sneak attack on the train fried my communicator. I have no way of contacting Chief.

Player: (through communicator) I can probably help with that.

Carmen: What?

Player: (through communicator) I traced Shadowsan's transmission when I spotted you talking to her in Botswana. It was her idea.

Carmen hesitated for a moment, but then nodded.

Carmen: Infiltrating VILE requires stealth. If they see ACME coming, they'll wipe all data from the site and I might never learn the truth.

Zack: Carm, approaching position!

Carmen raised her binoculars to her eyes and gasped in shock.

Carmen: No!

Player: (through communicator) Red, what is it?

Carmen: It's gone. The Academy, all of it.

The scene cuts to a flashback of two weeks earlier at VILE Academy. The Faculty members stood outside, facing the ocean.

Maelstrom: Our glorious institution has weathered many storms, and I have every conviction that we will weather this one.

Bellum: We should welcome this new chapter in VILE's history as a new beginning.

Brunt: (grumbling) Like our last "new beginning" went so well? That would be the day Shadowsan brought Black Sheep to this island. And for that, I vow to mash her up and stuff her into that fancy red hat!

Maelstrom: (smiling coldly) There are more devastating ways to wreak revenge than bodily harm, Coach dearest.

Brunt: (raises an eyebrow) Oh? I'm not personally familiar with those ways.

Maelstrom: (smirks) Have you forgotten that we possess secrets which would certainly put the two of them at each other's throats?

Cleo: (grinning) Imagine what payback Carmen Sandiego might wreak upon Shadowsan if she ever learned the truth.

Brunt: (grins) Let them destroy each other from the inside out.

Maelstrom: (nods) Do consider planting that seed in Carmen's head instead of your fist the next time she darkens your path. Who knows? Perhaps in Botswana.