Chapter 9: Topsy-turvy

Bell stared at the creature with wide eyes. The mere sight of it shook his world. All his life, he thought monsters were exactly how they were. They were supposed to be heartless killers and vile beasts, yet, here was one that defied everything he knew about it. This little voivre girl was crying and had a terrified face that looked to be begging for help. That was normally all Bell needed to step in, but her monster-like look kept him in place. An attack from a fire bird was what needed to get him to act. He sensed the attack and immediately used his salamander wool to block its attack before killing it, unconsciously also shielding the girl too. He turned to her, not knowing why he bothered because he knew he wouldn't get anything. At least, that's what he thought. 

???: Thank... you...

He was shocked again. The monster spoke to him. It sounded like she had trouble forming the words, but knew the idea. Even for the girl, she didn't know why she said it or that she could. The words just felt right and came out of her mouth. Bell was hesitant but decided to act like he normally would in this situation. He put on his usual smile and held out his hand to her to help her. The girl couldn't quite understand, but the sincerity and warmth she picked up were enough for her to reach out and take it. However, they were interrupted when a group of adventurers appeared near them. Bell quickly took off his robe and covered the girl with it. It was a good idea since the rough looking people were asking around for a voivre. Knowing how their kind acted, Bell asked if they could spare a potion but blew him off. The boy finally felt like the coast was clear as he and the girl made their way out, running into the others along the way.

Lili: Master Bell! There you are!

Welf: Man, we were wondering what you were up to when you disappeared.

Bell: *Smiling sheepishly* Sorry about that.

Haruhime: Who is that with you?

Lili: Did you find another girl?

Bell: Uh, I think it would be better if we continued this back in Rivira.

That made enough sense to them and they all went back up a floor to the safe zone. There, it was already dark and they were at a secluded spot to talk about what happened. 

Lili: Alright, Master Bell, it's time you told us about this girl. You going off on your own to rescue random girls is going to get old fast.

Her scolding intimidated the girl as she stumbled backwards. She tripped on a rock and fell, revealing her red gem on her forehead and her monster appearance after her hood came off. The others were on guard right away and drew their weapons.

Welf: What the hell is that, Bell?!

Bell: *Standing in front of her* Wait! Don't attack!

He got into a defensive position and stood in front of her.

Lili: Get away from it! Are you seriously trying to protect it because of a pretty face?! You're getting way too close to monster fetish territory!

Bell: I swear, it isn't like that!

Mikoto: Sir Bell!

Haruhime: Master Bell!

Welf: Bell!

Hearing it enough times, the girl tried to replicate the sound.

Voivre: Beee.... Bell...

The boy heard this and got to eye level with her.

Bell: That's right. Bell, that's my name.

Voivre: N-Name... is Bell...

Mikoto: It... It spoke?