nineteen

Lila

I slapped a smile on my face as I opened my apartment door seeing my parents most kids would be happy to them after not seeing them for a certain amount of time.

But not me I never wanted to my mine ever again once I turned eighteen I was gone never wanting to look back. And yet they were standing in my kitchen observing every little thing even Sam.

"How often do you work?" My mom asked

I stuttered a bit "Uh every week."

"Where?"

"The animal shelter and sometimes the coffee shop."

I watched my own mother scoff and roll her eyes looking at my father.

"And who's the guy?" My dad asked looking at Sam's bruised face and the white bandages on his knuckles

"That's Sam my friend." I said slightly smiling

He got up walking towards my mom and dad holding out his hand trying to put a smile on his face.

"It's nice to meet you two."

"I could say different."

Sam looked at me with his eyebrows raised but I didn't have the courage to look at him. I was embarrassed.

"Um dinner is done." I said turning the stove off

It was silent as everyone grabbed a plate and sat around the table, I made sure I was able to sit next to Sam and not next to either of my parents. Luckily they didn't take notice in that but Sam did.

"How can you afford this if you barely work?"

I slightly frown "I never said that I didn't work."

"Then how often do you work?"

"Mom, I don't need to tell you."

"Don't talk to us like that."

This conversation brought me back to when I was kid when I just wanted a normal conversation but I instead it turned into a huge fight, which then left me feeling lonely and hurt.

"Sorry." I whispered eating some of my food

I felt Sam's hand on my knee and I took a quick glance before looking away again.

"So how long are you visiting for?" I asked

They both shrugged their shoulders before my dad got up going to the fridge.

"Got any beer?"

"Um no." I said

I didn't like alcohol.

"You know we were visiting and didn't bother to get any?" He asked slamming the fridge door

I didn't answer already knowing this was going to be a long ass night.