thirty six

Sam

"It's alright." A sweet voice said

I could listen to that voice all day.

"Sam, you need to open your eyes."

"I'm trying." I mumbled

I felt something warm grab my hand and give it a tight squeeze, but they never let my hand go.

I took a deep breath "Where's Lila?"

"I'm right here Sam, but you need to open your eyes."

I slightly opened my eyes but it felt like there were bricks weighing them down. I saw her, her light brown hair and her green eyes that were staring at me.

They were filled with worry and something else.

"What happened?" I asked once I was able to fully open my eyes

Lila rubbed her hand against my cheek making me sigh in relief "I'm sorry Sam, it was all my fault."

I shook my head "No Lila, you did the right thing calling me. I just wanted to protect you."

"But I didn't want you getting hurt."

"It doesn't hurt." I said "I had worst injuries."

Her hand moved to my hair pushing it out of my face. Her nails scratched against my scalp. While her other hand was stilling gripping mine.

"I should be sorry." I said

She looked at me confused.

"At the end of the call you said 'I love you' and I never said it back, I just hung up on you."

She laughed "I didn't mean it Sam-"

"But you did mean it I could tell in your voice and I felt so fucking dumb for not saying it back."

She slightly smiled.

"So please tell me Lila that you do love me and like me as much as I like you. Because jesus christ Lila I fucking love you so much that you have me wrapped around your damn finger."

Something has gotten into me, I would say something like this to a girl.

"Sam, I do love you and I never thought you would love me also."

She leaned in and kissed my forehead.

"But you're so loopy of medicine that you probably won't remember anything."

"No, I'll remember all of it I promise." I said

She just nodded her head.