Chapter 14

Edith moved to the study and took the mood seriously.

“It’s about our family. Father also knows it can’t be like this.”

“It’s all my fault. I was so greedy for business in the past that I ended up at this point….”

“Let’s move on from that story.”

She cut off his words. If left alone, the story of that time would be unraveled for hours.

“More than that, father, I think we need to sort out the property issue. I will get paid in the future, but father might spend it at the gambling house if it keeps going like this.”

It was such a severe issue that she had no choice but to speak directly. Even before she graduated from the academy and entered the palace, she tried to figure out a way to overcome this hurdle.

“The property… I didn’t sell the estate, though. I also left the ownership of this mansion intact.”

“That’s fortunate. But I know that the creditor has the right to collect the estate.”

At present, the house’s income was cut off. Creditors were taking all the profits collected from the Green Horn territory due to a large amount of gambling debt. The money was taken in the name of interest, and if the principal weren’t repaid, not a single penny would come from the estate forever.

Edith was convinced that the estate’s ownership was maintained because her father had not yet sold it. At this rate, it was only a matter of time before they lost their land and went bankrupt.

Therefore, special measures were necessary.

“Father, I’m sorry but you have to do me a favor.”

“What…?”

She would reluctantly make this proposal if she were the real Edith because the sentiment would have tied her as the man’s own flesh and blood.

“Give me the title of duke and the head’s authority.”

The duke’s dim impression improved for a moment as much as an average person. His puffy eyelids from his irregular life were raised, and he made a bewildered expression as if he couldn’t grasp the situation.

“No, what does that mean all of a sudden?”

Usually, the head’s position was inherited only when the ancestors died. Even if it wasn’t codified, it has been passed down as a tradition for many years.

Exceptions were very rare. For example, when there was a big problem that causes the family to fall.

Edith compared the current situation to such an exception. She would be in trouble if she stay still. It was impossible to prevent the duke from gambling on her salary in the first place. Furthermore, sooner or later the house would be ruined.

With the situation at this point, she considered it would be better for her to inherit the title and position if the Duke allowed it.

“The family is on the verge of collapsing. If father admits it, you must leave everything to me. We can prevent the worst that way.”

“Well, the title–”

“If things get worse than they are now, we will go bankrupt. However, if you leave it to me, at least it won’t increase the debt.”

While persuading the Duke, Edith wondered how nice it would have been if she had acted this smart in front of Clyde.

When she stood in front of Clyde, the atmosphere kept flowing in a strange direction, and her words were twisted, making it difficult for her to respond rationally. She could act as smart as she was now if circumstances allowed.