57 | irl

this is a filler sorryyyyy

CALIFORNIA
*:・゚✧*

    CALIFORNIA HEAT ROLLS through the cars open window embedded in a breeze. Lindsey scrunches her nose as she loads Binx's carrier into the passenger seat. California heat sure was something, but it wasn't the dry desert heat of Arizona she grew up in.

Lana lingers behind her, nervously tapping her fingertips against one another. She's afraid to face Khina in three days without Lindsey, but she's more worried about where her and Lauren's relationship stands as of now. They're sisters, always will be, and siblings get over things without talking about it.

They would need to talk after last night. Harsh words had been said but the hurtful intent behind them had been worse.

"Text me when you get there, please?"

"I will."

Lindsey pulls her head from the inside the car and turns. The concern etched in Lana's face causes her stomach to somersault.

"I won't leave us like this," she murmurs gently, moving forward to hug her. "I just—I can't talk to her right now."

"I understand." Lana's voice wavers. "I'm just scared she won't let you. You know how she gets when she's really pissed off."

Lindsey sighs into her sisters neck. "I'll tie her down and make her listen if I have to. I don't know why I have to put in all the effort though," she grumbles in annoyance.

Lauren has a tendency to block out everything regarding a person she's angry with. Most often, she won't apologize even if part of whatever happened was her fault. She's too prideful for that; it's her biggest flaw.

"I'll talk to her. She shouldn't have said that."

Lindsey tenses, then pulls from Lana all together. She knew what she meant even without context. She knew it came from a place of pure unbridled anger, but that didn't make it hurt any less.

"You're so fucking aggravating and stuck up when you're pissed off, I can't stand it! How does Noah love this part of you? How does anyone?"

Blinking back and swallowing down a lump of tears, Lindsey rounds the side of the car. The drivers door is wide open, displaying the maroon hoodie splayed over the leather seat.

"Bye Lan, I love you."

Lana closes the door once Lindsey's safely nestled inside. She leans her arms flat against the door, poking her head through the rolled down window.

"I love you too," she replies earnestly. "Be safe." She pecks a quick kiss to Lindsey's cheek then backs away.

Lindsey doesn't pull out from the driveway right away, waiting until Lana's figure disappears inside the house, and the garage shuts fully.

"Okay boys!" she exclaims cheerily. "What should we listen to? Podcast?"

Fitz makes a noise as similar to a groan as a dog can get.

"Yeah you're right too boring."

Lindsey leans over the center console to unzip Binx's carrier, pulling down the flap. His head pokes up immediately. A slim line of a deep green shade surrounds his pupils which are wide in curiosity. He hasn't been free in a car before, always stuck in the violet carrier with a mesh opening.

"No windows, sorry," the brunette says, holding the buttons up for the passenger and back right seat windows.

Fitz doesn't seem too bothered as he flops down onto the blanket Lindsey had laid over the back seats, teeth trapped in a red rubber toy. His pillow has been pushed to the floor but Lindsey was sure if he felt like sleeping he'd drag it up himself.

After settling on her most listened playlist, double-checking she packed enough food, treats, and water for both pets, and their leashes are still in her backpack, Lindsey pulls out of the driveway.