58 | irl

tw/cw: mentions of grooming & implications of SA

JULY 29, 2022

ARIZONA
*:・゚✧*

    "HEY KIDDO!"

Damon drops a kiss to the top of Lindsey's head as he passes by. He drops his overnight bag on the kitchen table in favor of scooping up the leftover kimchi fries that just left the air fryer.

"Hi Dad!" Foolish cries in a weird voice from Lindsey's phone. "OH FUCK!"

"Hi other child," Damon says through a mouthful of fries. His eyebrows raise at the latter half of Foolish's greeting.

Lindsey chuckles as she wiggles further into the blue velvet couch cushions. "He's playing Valo."

"Wait Dad's there? Hi!" Rae yells.

"DAD? HI DAD!" shouts Tina.

"Hey Dad! I don't know who you are!" Hasan adds.

*:・゚✧*
THE NEXT MORNING . . .

"I hate her," Lindsey says randomly, amidst the multiple people in the kitchen, wrist deep in a large blue bowl filled with mandoo ingredients.

Aunt Holly glances up from her stance across the kitchen island, eyebrows raised. "Who?"

"Khina."

Holly's lips curl into what's best described as disgust, proceeded by a fake gag and a roll of her dark eyes. "The only good thing that woman's ever done is give me nieces," she sneers bitterly. She smacks a shrimp into a pile of flour maybe too aggressively. Her box-twist hairstyle, thrown up in the best bun she could manage, just to keep hair out of the food, bounces in time with her movements.

"She didn't give you good ones!" Marcus calls from the couch.

"Boy if you don't shut your goddamn mouth." Holly raises a spare spatula spread out in the chaos of the kitchen in her cousin's direction. "Insult my baby girls again and I'll use this to skin you."

"No murdering in my house please," Damon chimes in as he comes striding through the front door, bags upon bags of groceries hanging off his arms. "If you really need to, go do it on Carol's lawn and ruin her ugly tomato garden."

"I thought it was nice."

Lindsey's head snaps up and a half secured mandoo rolls right out of her palm and onto the cutting board. Her boyfriend giggles at the shock on her face, stooping down to press a kiss to her cheek.

Holly turns her back to give them as much privacy as a small kitchen holding five people can.

Lindsey winds her arms around Foolish's neck, angling her mandoo-ingredient-covered hands away from his skin and clothes. "What are you doing here?" she breathes out, lips curling into his smile.

"You were sad," he whispers. "I didn't want you to be alone."

Half the weight on her heart lifts. Her fight with Lauren had left her upset, frustrated, and like she'd lost a part of her she'd never get back. Lindsey had never seen Lauren as angry as she'd been last night and it terrified her. For the first time in her life, Lindsey had walked away from a fight frightened rather than to control her own emotions.

An uncontrollable squeak escapes her mouth, caused by an overwhelming surge of happiness in her chest. Lindsey squeezes into his space to press three rapid-fire kisses to his cheek. His skin reddens and burns beneath her touch.