Chapter 22.1

She should have been dead...

My leg bounces in a nervous tic, as I sat on the kitchen stool in my apartment, watching as Enzo's men picked up almost every inch of my life in this place. Boxes on boxes were carried away, as my phone laid before me. I contemplated phoning Austin. But I was still mad at him. Well I think more hurt than mad.

"Luna!" My eyes snapped to the sound of my name being called, as Ricky narrows his eyes at me. "I've called you five times now." It worked almost like clockwork, as a friendly smile formed on my face. "Sorry, I didn't hear you."

Ricky nods, though his eyes stay narrowed as if his trying to read my mind before he sighs. "We're done. I asked if you leaving with me or..." I shrugged. Before glancing down at my phone again. "I'll catch up. I want to say a proper goodbye," I lied, as I stood from the only piece of furniture in my once filled apartment. "Thanks Ricky." He nods, taking the stool with him out.

The moment he closes the door, I unlock my phone and dial Austin's number. The floor felt cold against the bare skin of legs, as I lean against a wall in a form of comfort.

"Luna," He sounds relieved as he pick up after a single ring. "I'm so, so, so, sorry. Please forgive me," It began like a chant, as he pleaded with me. But my mind could not wonder from what I saw last night. "Austin!" I yell into the phone, as he goes silent. "I saw her." I state. "Who?" With the phone to my ear, my eyes found my left hand, as my index finger begins to dig into my middle finger, another nervous habit. "Amy." I whispered, as if she would appear had I said her name any louder.

"What?" He asks and there's a pause, one I can't fill. As I don't believe my own words. "Luna, that can't be. Are you sure?"

I nodded, even though he couldn't see me. "I know what I saw."

"Where?" I paused, before sighing. "I had Enzo take me to our old neighborhood and burn that fucking place down."

I could hear Austin chuckle, yet it was humorless. Dry. "That was you?" My finger bleeds, as I curse under my breath, before placing it into my mouth. "Fucks sake Luna, it was all over the fucking news." I could hear the hesitation in his voice. "Are you sure."

Irritated with his lack of belief, I snap. "I know what I fucking saw. She was in the police car that drove pass!"

Austin doesn't say anything, as I begin to take deep breaths in to relax my racing heart. "Austin?" I whispered.

"Luna," his voice sounds softer, almost scared. "That can't be. She's dead. Her body sank to the bottom of the lake."

"What do we do?"

He ended the call. Glancing down with shock across my face, I stood up and threw my phone in frustration, cracking the screen in the process. This is bad...

***************************

This for ; ; ; @nalis87; and for voting on every chapter in the past week or 2, and everyone else voting on my story. Thank you much and may you be blessed!!! 😍💖

P.s when adding my book to your reading list, I can see what's it's called. And honestly I don't know if I should laugh or hide my blush. I love it ❤️

Happy reading cupcakes 🧁