49

• LEONARDO •

"We'll have to perform a surgery to get the bullet out." The company doctor tells me. "Then, to be safe, I'd recommend he stays here under supervision for a day."

     I nod. "Okay. Do it."

     "Yes, sir." He says, then walks back into the biggest hospital room we have in this wing. I look down the hall, where my only daughter lays in a locked room.

     I'd never liked her husband—and practically despised him after what he did to her—but I wanted to stay in touch with my daughter so she could tell me if anything else happened. So I could be there for her.

     Obviously I don't want her stuck in a room, but I don't believe her threats about telling the police were empty. She's there for safety reasons—hers and everyone else's.

     I sigh and walk down to the room Briana is in. I slide the small window in the door open first, then look through it. She's sitting in the corner of the cushioned room, hugging her knees to her chest. She still has tear marks on her face, and she's still crying.

I slide the lock open and walk inside. She snaps her head up to look at me, then pushes herself to her feet. She tries to run to the door, but I put an arm out to stop her as I slam it shut, pocketing the key.

     "Dad, please let me out." She begs, voice breaking.

     "I'm not gonna do that, Briana." I say. "I just wanna come talk to you."

"You can't just keep me in here—"

"Sit down on your bed, Briana."

"It's not my bed because I'm not fucking staying here!" She shouts.

"You shot Lorenzo, Briana! He has to get surgery!"

"He killed my husband!"

"Did you forget that your husband raped your niece and almost beat your nephew to a pulp? Or do you not care about them, and only yourself?"

If I was a cartoon character, I think smoke would be coming out of my ears. How can she be so self-centred and ignorant?

"You also threatened to tell the police everything, and Amalia! Do you know what you could've done?"

     "I wasn't going to—"

     "Do not insult me by lying, after everything." I say, a note of finality in my voice. She pauses. "If anything bad happens to Lorenzo, I swear to God. You should think yourself lucky that all we're doing right now is making you stay in here.

     "You're immature, naïve, and clearly your mother and I didn't raise you right if you're going to stand here and try to justify shooting your brother over your disgusting husband. I'm disappointed in the person you've become, especially when you had so much opportunity and potential."

With that, I leave.

• AMALIA •

I check the clock beside the bed, it's four a.m.

     Why is my dad not back yet?