05- I'm Just Pissed off Because You Pied Me Off After Your Show.

Sparks Fly by Taylor Swift

"As the lights go down, gimme something that will haunt me when you're not around"

Tomorrow Never Came by Lana Del Rey

"You said you'd meet me out there tomorrow, but tomorrow never came"

(Also- my two mothers <3 <3)

November 2014

Jade carefully closed the front door to her building, trying not to wake up any of her neighbors. It was six o'clock in the morning and she was just returning home from the night before. She slipped off her heels knowing that the stairs would also be an obstacle in her battle of staying quiet and avoiding judgment.  She lived on the top floor of a classic Chicago greystone two-flat that was built tightly between two other buildings, meaning that there was much working against her in this pursuit- like thin walls and old, creaky floorboards. The tired daze that she found herself in made the stairs much more of a task than they normally were. 

Once she made it up to the top of the stairs, she fumbled around the pockets of her denim jacket to find her keys. The first pocket she reached into was empty. A sense of worn-out frustration started to cloud her actions. She took off her jacket, shaking it vigorously hoping that the sound of the jingling keys would clue her into their exact location. All her prior efforts to limit noise and save face had gone to waste. She heard the sound of metal hitting the floor. She had nothing to lose now. A loud groan escaped her mouth as she bent down to pick up her keychain. All she needed was sleep and her patience was wearing thin. She unlocked the door to her unit, opening it to reveal a quaint studio apartment, most of which the square footage was taken up by bookshelves. Jade slammed the door behind her. She took her phone out of the pocket of her jacket. After throwing the jacket to the floor, she let herself stumble onto her bed, facedown. While yawning, she turned her body around and lifted the covers over herself.  

Im home now :) hope you found your way back to your hotel okay. see you tonight! she texted Matty, right before plugging her charger into her phone. She set it down on her nightstand and then found herself quickly falling asleep. 

The screen quickly lit up, although she was too far out of consciousness to notice. It was a text back from Matty that read I'm back at my hotel. Looking forward to it.  

Right after, another text from him appeared on her screen, by the way... The ominous message was followed by a link to "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths. 

About six hours later, Jade woke up with a bit of hesitancy to participate in the circumstances that humanity had brought upon her. As a form of procrastination, she looked at her phone and read the texts from Matty. Looking forward to it brought a smile to her face. Intrigued and a little confused, she opened the link that he had sent her. The small speakers on her phone started to vibrate with the twang of a guitar and the punch of a drumset. A low voice quickly accompanied the combination of sounds. Her eyes lit up with recognition. She instantly responded to Matty, I know this song. It's in 500 Days of Summer :) She set her phone on her bed and laid down until the song was over.

Jade spent the rest of the daylight cleaning her apartment, striving to conserve energy for the night. Besides the concert, she didn't know what the night would entail, but she prematurely hoped it would last forever. 

As the sun was setting, Jade started to get ready and simultaneously, started to overthink what to wear. This was a typical habit of hers. Appearing desperate was something she lived in constant fear of.  It affected how she communicated and it affected how she presented herself. In some ways, the matter became all that more complex when it came to Matty. Jade wanted to show him that she cared. Insecurity blurred the spectrum, making the balance a complete mystery. This war in her head had her fixed in front of her closet like a statue. She was tired of constantly having to calculate her decisions.