08- And It's Christmas.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Judy Garland

"Let your heart be light, next year all of our troubles will be out of sight."

December 2018

Jade woke up to the noises of Viola crying. She instantly went to lift her up from the pack n' play used as a temporary crib. After trying to settle the baby down, Jade glanced at the alarm clock on the nightstand. It was 9 am. On Christmas. 

She had gathered that Viola's discomfort was likely caused by hunger, so she carried her downstairs. Her feet were exhaustingly resistant to taking steps forward, although her mind was aware of the urgency of needing to feed her screaming child. The smell of pancakes hit her nose, creating a hunger of her own. She turned the corner to see Denise hovering over a frying pan on the stovetop.

"Hey," Jade spoke up with an apologetic tone, knowing that the aggravated baby was probably disturbing an ideal Christmas morning. She set Viola down in her highchair and directly walked to the fridge. "I think she's just hungry."

"Aren't we all?" Denise asked rhetorically giving both her grandchild and Jade sympathetic smiles, "Merry Christmas, my darlings."

As Jade started to pass Denise on her way back from the fridge, she gave Denise a quick side hug, letting the urgency die down for a mere millisecond. "Merry Christmas," she spoke quickly, but her tone was sincere. She pulled a chair next to the highchair, opened the jar of baby food, and started feeding Viola. Peace filled the room once again. "Is Matty awake yet?"

"He just went outside to have a smoke. I'd imagine he'll be back in soon. Would you like some pancakes?"

Jade's eyes lit up dramatically, "Yes please!"

"Good. I made them with you in mind."

She giggled, trying to keep herself humble, "I appreciate it. Thanks."

As Denise started to plate breakfast and Jade continued to spoon food for Viola, there was a sound of the front door closing. The sound was followed by two pairs of shuffling feet coming closer. "Do I smell pancakes?" Louis said as he found his way to the kitchen, Matty walking right behind him.

"Get them while they're hot," Denise answered her youngest son.

  As soon as Matty turned the corner, he leaned towards to highchair. "Merry Christmas, baby girl," he cheered as his face brightened in contrast to the worn-out deposition he held a moment ago. He bent down and kissed the top of Viola's head. 

"Merry Christmas, Matty," Jade said as she looked up at him from her chair. 

Her eyes shined, holding more happiness than they had in a while. There was something about her expression that made him think she had found some internal contentment. He placed his hand across her back and onto her shoulder. He rubbed it softly. "Merry Christmas."

The two turned their focus away from each other and transferred it to their daughter, who was now giggly. They both softened, melting into the wholesomeness that Viola had brought into their world. She had mashed peas smeared around her mouth.

"Can you grab a napkin or something so I can wipe her face?" Jade asked Matty, bringing them both back to the reality that everyone forgets about occurring on Christmas. 

He cleared his throat, "Yeah, sure."

Matty handed Jade a napkin. She wiped off Viola's face and then lifted her out of the highchair. She eventually handed her off to Matty who sat her on his lap as the family all worked on eating their breakfast. Lincoln, who eventually joined them, and Louis worked on cleaning the dishes. Matty, Jade, Viola, and Denise found their way to the living room where they, mostly Jade and Denise, started setting the atmosphere up for opening gifts. They turned on music and Christmas tree lights. All the adults put in their best efforts to give Viola the best first Christmas that they could, although she wouldn't remember a single moment of it. In years past, they would typically start the morning with presents, but that was not something anyone was strict on this year, as the schedule of a seven-month-old baby had to be accommodated to. 

About You. (Matty Healy)рдЬрд╣рд╛рдБ рдХрд╣рд╛рдирд┐рдпрд╛рдБ рд░рд╣рддреА рд╣реИрдВред рдЕрднреА рдЦреЛрдЬреЗрдВ