Chapter 4: The Mushroom Kingdom

A Grassy Forest - The Mushroom Kingdom

Mario awakened and groaned as he cracked his neck. He gasped and looked at the lush green forest that he was in. "Holy cannoli..."

He looked around and saw that it was also surrounded by giant mushrooms and mushroom flowers. "What is this place?"

He looked at a blue mushroom and almost touched it until a small boy-like creature jumped out with his spear. "DO NOT TOUCH THAT MUSHROOM!!! YOU'LL DIE!!!!"

Mario yelped and fell back. The creature had no ears and wore a mushroom cap, a blue vest, brown shoes, and a large diaper-like piece of clothing for pants. The creature blinked and said, "Oh, false alarm! This one's perfectly fine."

"What...??" Mario was really confused about what was going on.

"Wait...Who are you?" The creature asked.

"Uh...Mario?" Mario stood up. "Who...are you? An alien?"

"No, I'm not an alien! My name's Toad! Named after my species!" 

"Umm...Okay." 

"Where did you come from?"

"From Brooklyn, New York...Me and my brother were shot out of a pipe and ended up here."

"Oh, don't worry, I can take you to the Princess and we can help you out!" 

"Okay."

Toad got his backpack and the two began trekking through the forest. Mario was confused by all the mushrooms and also saw some bug creatures here and there. The plumber then asked, "Where am I?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you where we are. This is the Mushroom Kingdom!"

"Is this a dream?"

Toad then whacked Mario on the side. "Did that hurt?"

"YES!"

"Then not a dream!"

Mario rubbed the side that Toad whacked him with and said, "This isn't happening...Me and Luigi were supposed to be doing normal plumber business and then we got sucked into a pipe and then...we got separated."

"Who's Luigi?"

"My brother. He was sucked into some kind of desert land."

"Oh, your brother's in Sarasaland or "World-2" as we call it. Your brother's extremely lucky that he didn't land in the Darklands."

"The Darklands?" Mario shrugged in confusion.

"The Darklands...Or "World-8..." They are a barren wasteland filled with volcanoes, lava, and evil. The inhabitants, the Koopa Army, are under Bowser's control." Toad said, in a whisper. 

"Bowser?"

"A tyrannical dictator who won't rest until he controls the Mushroom Kingdom and eventually the universe..." 

"What...?"

"The Princess will explain when we get to her. C'mon, Mario!"

Toad proceeded to run and Mario followed along, saying, "Mushroom Kingdom, here we come!"

Toad Town, the Captial of the Kingdom - World-1, Mushroom Kingdom

Mario and Toad walked through town and Mario gasped at what he was witnessing. He saw people like Toad working, socializing, and also a society almost like New York. Mario smiled and said, "It's a real city."

"Follow me, Mario," Toad said.

Mario followed him and was amazed by what he was seeing. They passed by restaurants, an antique shop, and toads hitting blocks that contained coins. A toad dropped a gold coin and Mario picked it up.