Chapter 11: The Great Yoshi Race

The Next Day

The heroes proceeded to walk through the forest and saw a giant sign pointing to a nearby village that said, "Yoshi Town ➡ - Other Paths ⬅"

"The Yoshi village is that way!" Peach said, pointing to the right.

The heroes walked to the path's right side and ended up in a giant village. The village looked somewhat like an old tiki village with huts and also huts tied to trees and bridges. Mario looked around and saw many yoshis and also some toads here and there. The four walked through the village and made it to the town's palace.

"Finally. We made it." Toad said, finally setting his backpack down.

"What do we do now?" Mario asked. "Do we just walk in and ask for an application?"

"Oh, no," Peach answered. "We go to the throne room and talk to the chief. Just be quiet, don't speak unless you're spoken to, and never ever mention his weight."

The four walked into the throne room and there was the chief sitting on his throne gobbling down on a cookie. He was a green Yoshi but he was very fat and had a single white feather with orange stripes tied to a band as a crown. Mario cringed a little and Peach spoke, "Chief Yoshi, I need to ask you a favor: I want you to band an army of yoshis and help us defeat King Bowser."

"Oh, dear princess...I'm much too busy to do anything about this Bowser character. Besides, I don't want to put our people at risk! We're pacifists!"

"I know but you're going to have to put your pacifism aside to help us protect the world! Bowser has the Power Star and has captured the penguin army!"

"Hmm...Bowser has the Power Star...That is troublesome...Tell you what: IF and ONLY IF your mustached friend there next to you wins our annual Great Yoshi Race that's happening in a few hours, I'll consider it." The Chief turned his head to Mario. "What's your name, son?"

"Uhh...Mario." Mario answered.

After the meeting, the heroes walked out of the throne room, Rohan sighed and uttered, "Jerk..."

"What's the Great Yoshi Race?" Mario asked.

"It happens every year," Rohan replied.

"It's a race where yoshis race on a specific track and see who wins first. Sometimes, some ride yoshis but there are some competitors where yoshis race as themselves." Peach explained. "So, we're going to go find you a Yoshi for the race."

The heroes went to the stables and Rohan said, "Hello? We need a Yoshi for the race."

"Sure thing, Prince Toadstool!" The clerk said. "We have a variety of yoshis in service."

Mario and Peach walked around the stables for the right yoshi and then there was a green yoshi that chittered and exclaimed. Mario noticed this and walked over to the Yoshi but their path was blocked by the fence of the Yoshi's pen. Peach then asked, "Do you wanna see if he likes you?"

She handed him a fruit. Mario held out the fruit and then the yoshi ate it with its long, stretchy tongue. The Yoshi smiled and licked the plumber's cheek. Mario chuckled and Peach cooed, "Aww...He likes you."

Mario smiled and Toad said, "We'll take this one."

After Toad paid for the new racing tool, the five walked out of the stables and Rohan asked, "How about we give him a name?"

"The yoshi?" Mario was confused. "I guess a name could help us out in trying to tell them apart. Also, I wanted a pet as a kid."

"...How about "Tom?" Toad asked.