Chapter I

~ Anita Blake's Point of View ~

I was sitting in between Jean-Claude and Asher staring at Dolph Storr after hearing what he was asking me to do. For a long while I just stared at him with an are you serious look. With Richard near us in another chair.

"Are you serious Dolph? You want me to take in a sixteen year old girl?" I asked him still not believing he was asking this.

"Anita she doesn't have anyone else. And short of putting her under protective custody she also has no protection especially in the foster care system." Dolph said after sighing then paused for a minute or two and said, "Anita I never ask much especially something like this because I know your life is hard enough. However, I know if she would be safer anywhere it would be with you and your...family..."

I stared at him quietly knowing he had a good point. Which Asher even pointed out while smirking slightly, "He does have a point in that she would be safest with us Cher."

Both Jean-Claude and I glanced at Asher but didn't say anything because of knowing both of them were right.

When I didn't say anything Dolph added, "It should be temporary. Because if the people who handle protective custody can be convinced to take her as a special case. Which could at least take a month, or two at the latest."

I stared at him still quiet for a while. I opened the link between Jean-Claude, Richard, and I and said to them, ^What do you think? Should we take her in temporarily?^

^As Sargent Storr said she has no one and could still be in danger from those who had kept her captive. I don't see her being safe anywhere else. And I don't want to be guilty if something happens to her knowing we could help protect her.^ Richard said. And we both looked at Jean-Claude.

^I think it's a good idea to take her in, even if it is only temporarily. She deserves it after everything she has been through since she was only six.^ Jean-Claude said though we could all sense his disgust at what the girl has been through since the age of six. Which both Richard and I felt the same feelings not just because of the marks but because it was truly disturbing to us that people would put an innocent child through that. After Jean-Claude said that the three of us nodded and turned toward Dolph.

"We will take her in and protect her Dolph." I said.

"Is there anything we should know that you haven't told us yet Sargent Storr?" Jean-Claude asked Dolph.

"There is but I'm not the right person to tell you because it's not my area of expertise. Mind if I bring in the person who is?" Dolph said and then asked.

"Not at all if you think it's best Sarget Storr." Jean-Claude Said with a calm smile.

Dolph went out the door for a little bit which is when we got a glimpse of the sixteen year old girl Brittany. Even from where the four of us were we could tell the girl was fearful and what looked like she was self conscious as well. She had blue eyes, pale white skin although it looked like she had a few visible bruses I dreaded when we would see the scars and some fresh wounds that we were told were on her back, brown hair that was shoulder length, was pretty skinny, and was about my height though we were told she was 5'5. After a few minutes, possibly 5 minutes Dolph came back in with a professional looking woman.

"Catalina Tayler Fallon this is Anita Blake Necromancer Federal Marshal and Human Servant of Jean-Claude Master Vampire of the City, Jean-Claude Master of the City, Asher Jean-Claude's second in command, and Richard Zeeman." Dolph introduced us to her, "Anita, Jean-Claude, Asher, and Richard this is Catalina Fallon a Trauma Physiologist." and her to us.

"Who specializes in trauma cases where some develop Multiple Personalities or a Multiple Personality." Ms. Fallon added.

"Are you saying that she has multiple personalities?" I asked her.

"She is a very odd case of multiple personality or DID that I have ever seen or met." Ms. Fallon said.

"Odd how?" Asher asked.

"She has only one personality. And they are aware of each other and can give up control if one can't handle something who is mostly Brittany. Usually people who have this disorder because of abuse they have suffered, they have more than one personality, and the personalities are not aware of each other. And they can't switch seamlessly like Brittany can with hers." Ms. Fallon said.

"What can we expect from this Ms. Fallon?" Jean-Claude asked.

"Brittany is very quiet and very timid due to what she has been through. The other personality who told me that her name is Kindle is quiet but not timid, she is also calm, practical, and direct. Brittany has blue eyes but when Kindle takes over her eyes become violet. And the body posture changes as well." Ms. Fallon said.

"Is Kindle dangerous?" Richard asked.

"Not unless Brittany is in danger. And then she makes sure to find the danger before doing anything." Ms. Fallon said. Ms. Fallon also told us of her encounter that she had with Brittany's other personality.

"Thank you for telling us Ms. Fallon." Jean-Claude said with a charming calm smile on his face.

"You are welcome." Ms. Fallon said and then left.

As Dolph returned both his and my beepers went off calling us to a crime scene. It was agreed that while Dolph and I went to work Brittany would stay and spend time with Jean-Claude, Asher, and Richard.