Chapter XIII

~ Ahriman's Point of View ~

I slowly made my way to where Brittany's mother lay. My thoughts at times running wild but at other times calm, playing back memories of the past. One of my favorite memories being our first meeting, which had been at Plesoria, Academy for the Magically Gifted, the most exclusive and magnificent Magical school of Sarvaya. I smiled recalling the memory.

~ First Flashback to the past ~
~Third Person Point of View~

Prince Ahriman walked through the halls of Plesoria heading to the Library. He was polite to everyone he passed because that was how he was raised being a Prince who would one day inherit a kingdom. As he came to the largest of the libraries he saw the door open and heard the most beautiful singing.

It sounded angelic to him. He stopped outside the door to listen for a few minutes before going in because he didn't want the absolutely beautiful sounds to end and feared it would once his presence was known. Eventually he got up his courage to go in and find the owner of that absolutely beautiful voice.

As he approached he saw a beautiful petite woman with shoulder length brown hair, smooth porcelain white skin that looked like it could burn easily if she was in the sun for too long, however, she also looked like she would tan nicely, and she also had beautiful blue eyes that made him think of beautiful blue crystals under water if the light hit them just right. Seeing him she paused singing or more like vocalizing and her eyes met his onyx black eyes and they immediately knew that they were meant to be together. As they stared at each other neither of them speaking right away it felt to the both of them at that time no one else mattered or existed except the two of them.

"Hello, I am Prince Ahriman Azther Shadowmend of the Kingdom of Sorvaya in the Country of Saphton. May I know your name?" Ahriman introduced himself then asked her as he smiled a charming smile and did a mid waist bow a hand over his heart and staring into her beautiful eyes.

"Hello Prince Ahriman. I am Princess Araceli Zalaea North of the Fenix Kingdom of the country of Sheica. It is pleasure to meet you." Araceli said smiling softly and blushing softly as he kissed her hand gently.

"The pleasure is all mine." He said smiling as he gently took her right hand in his and kissed it. For the next few hours they got to know each other, and he even walked her back to her dorm.

~ End of First Flashback ~

I couldn't stop smiling from that memory and the memories of our year long courtship, then at our wedding and our wedding night and that week. However, at the memory of when he had to leave for a while to get some military experience almost made my smile leave my face.

~ Second Flashback to the past ~
~ Third Person Point of View ~

It was a six months after their wedding and Ahriman was leaving for a few months or up to a year in the army to get military experience. It was fall nearing winter as Ahriman and Araceli stood on the steps of their castle in Saphton named Shadowmend Castle because of Ahriman's last name being Shadowmend.

"I wish you didn't have to go My Love. I'm going to miss you so much." Araceli said as she moved to hug him. Tears made her blue eyes sparkle.

"I do to My Love. But unfortunately it's part of the job as King. And I'm going to miss you so much as well." Ahriman said as he hugged tear hears in his own eyes. He had to take deep breaths to keep from crying.

"Did they say where you are going?" She asked him desperate to know.

"Yes. A desert Country named Shurica. For It's mines, and wealth." He told her.

"5 more minutes Prince." A soldier who would later become Ahriman's friend and most trusted general and commoder Dante Drake Sargan said as he held the horses.

"It's only for a few months maybe a year. I promise though that I will make it back home to you." Ahriman said as he looked in her eyes.

"You better not just come home to me My Prince of Shadows." Araceli said looking into his eyes with seriousness in hers, pausing to put his hand on her stomach. And then she added, "Come back home to us...Me and your heir...Your Princess..."

For a minute that didn't register. He looked at her face and eyes then at her stomach then her eyes then her stomach again.

"Are you saying that...I'm a father...?" He asked as it slowly dawned on him what she was telling him.

"Yes. You soon will be at least. In eight months." She said smiling at him.

"I love you so much." He said hugging her gently but firmly. Then he said to her stomach, "And you as well my Princess of Shadows."

"Princess of Shadows. It has a nice ring to it." Araceli said with a laugh.

"2 minutes. Hurry up happy love birds and soon to be parents!" Dante said called out smirking.

"I will write and send it to you by Falcon My Queen." Ahriman said as he looked into her eyes.

"I will write back. And we will be waiting here for you." Araceli said smiling warmly at him.

After one last hug and kiss Ahriman got on his horse and started off with Dante.

"Congratulations Prince." Dante said smiling at him as they rode off.

"Thank you." Ahriman said smiling back."

~ End of the Flashback ~

I came out of my memories as I approached the statue marking what I believed to be Araceli's grave because I believed that was who I buried here. For a while I stared at the statue who I had made to look at least somewhat like Araceli, at least face wise. I missed her so much.

Then after a while I sat on the nearby bench still facing the statue.

"I know it's been a long while since I last visited My Queen. I'm very sorry for that. I have been very busy though..." I started my eyes burning with tears I tried to keep in.

"I found some of those responsible for that night. They were punished but I haven't found them all yet. I'm so very sorry I wasn't there to protect our family that night." I said softly as grief started to take hold. I felt like the grief was going to eat me alive. For a few minutes I let it pour out of me but it felt like an eternity.

"I finally found our Princess. She will be returned." I said after I finally got ahold of myself. A little ember of hope sparking inside myself. "I will get her back. And I will protect her. I swear it. Especially with the Darkness that is coming. I pray to God that I will be able to protect her and our people as well as others."

I stopped talking to her when I heard someone calling my name. I noticed I had moved to kneel before her statue and felt the tears on my cheeks. I gathered my strength taking several deep breaths and drying my tears I squared my shoulder and started to leave the statue.

As I left the statue I saw Dante. He was solemn and he gently but firmly hugged me.

"I know you miss her. But your daughter needs you. Your family and children need you. The Kingdom needs you. And who knows who else needs you. To defend them from the Darkness that we know is coming. Even if they don't know it. We do." Dante said then paused before adding, "I will do everything I can to aid you my friend. My King. All you have to do is lead."

I looked at him and nodded his strength, giving me the strength and resolve that I needed to keep going. "I just hope we will be able to stop the Darkness."

"Maybe where your daughter is, is where we have found more allies to help." Dante said as we headed back to my castle.

"Maybe. If they will listen about what's going on here after Alumir and whoever was with him holding my daughter captive, and my Shadows possibly messed things up." I said.

"If we tell them together and even show them the truth of what we so far know is being caused by the Darkness they should believe us." Dante said.

"Sounds like a plan to me. We should talk to Jasika about this then before she goes to get Brittany." I said. And we headed quickly to my castle and to Jasika.