Chapter Thirty-Five: Frozen

I wake up to my alarm on my phone. 5:00 AM. I groan as I roll over to turn it off. Today was an afternoon game against my former team, the defending Stanley Cup Champions, the Colorado Avalanche.

I was so nervous about this game as I would come face-to-face with my old flame, Gabriel Landeskog, who I haven't spoken to since the day I was traded to Ottawa.

I know I needed to apologize for everything I put him through, although I don't believe he will give me the time of day to do so. All I can do is try so I can get this weight lifted off my shoulders.

I roll out of bed and open my dresser, grabbing some underwear from the top drawer. I walk to my bathroom to take just a quick shower to wake me up. I wasn't used to afternoon games, but I preferred playing them, as I could have the rest of the night to unwind. It's hard to unwind after leaving the stadium after 10:30 every night.

As the warm water rolls down my back, I press my palms against the cool steel grey tiles, contemplating what to say to Gabe if I have the chance. I am so nervous but I know it needs to be done. If not for him, it will be for me.

I turn off the shower and I wrap myself in my warm towel, stepping out and placing my feet against my memory foam bath rug. I walk to the mirror and wipe the condensation off with my hand, seeing my reflection. I had lost weight due to my medication, which I was slowly starting to gain back. The face is always the most noticeable place when it weight goes down, and my cheeks were finally starting to fill back out. I apply a quick coat of mascara to my lashes and blush to my cheeks. I brush my hair and curl the ends, then I spray it to hold it in place.

Walking back to my room, I hear my phone go off again. I pick it up and see a text notification, from my former teammate Nathan MacKinnon.

From Nathan: "Looking forward to speeding past you today, ha ha!"

I chuckle to myself and roll my eyes. I was fast, but not Nathan MacKinnon fast. He always beat my ass whenever we would race each other around the ice.

From me: "I'm not afraid to drop the gloves, ha! See you on the ice."

I put my phone down and walk to my closet, pulling out my spaghetti strapped black dress with a slit in the left leg. I loved dressing up before the games, although I would change into my gear quickly after. I slip into my dress and my black flats. I hated driving in heels and honestly hated wearing them in general. I could never balance in heels, but I can in skates. Go figure.

I check the time and it is close to 6:00, our team meeting is at 7:00, so I have time to get coffee and slip into my gear before the rest of the team gets there. I grab my keys and head out the door.

*
*
*

After the team meeting is over it is nearing 9:00, which means it is almost time for pregame interviews for the broadcast. The media has been begging to talk to me about playing my former team, so I get up to the podium and sit down, my hands sweating and shaking. I was always so nervous in interviews, and very awkward.

"Mallory, how does it feel to be playing against the Avs tonight?" I hear a deep masculine voice call out, soon I see flashing of cameras.

"It's bittersweet, that's for sure," I laugh nervously. "Obviously they gave me my chance in the NHL and I owe everything to the organization. They believed in me when I didn't even believe in myself. But obviously I want to go out there tonight and play the best to my ability for us and pull out the win."

"There was some speculation regarding your trade to Ottawa in the off-season," the reporter continues, "Was there anything that was affecting your relationship with the Avalanche off the ice to bring you to Ottawa?"