Chapter Nine - Boston

I awaken to the sound of the hotel room door unlocking. I think nothing of it, just thinking maybe my roommate was either sneaking in or sneaking out of the room. My mind was in a daze right now. Who even was my roommate? Gabe? Varly? I was too exhausted to remember.

Just then the curtains fly open, the brightness of sun blinding me. I groan as I pull the covers over my head, burying my body into the softness of the sheets. A deep chuckle echoes throughout the room, then the blankets are ripped off of me.

"Come on, Hamilton," a thick Russian accent says. Okay, my roommate must be Varly. "Landeskog is looking for you."

"Tell Landeskog I'm too tired," I mumble, pulling the blankets away from his grip and I pull them back over my head.

"Try saying that to his face." Varly chuckles slyly, soon I feel the space beside me on the bed sink down.

"Damn it, Varly. Let me sleep." I growl, smacking the figure next to me.

"Nice try, sweetheart, but you didn't smack me," he chuckles. I can tell there's a smirk painted across his chiseled face.

I slowly pull the covers away from my face, seeing the beautiful Swede laying beside me. His blue eyes stare directly into mine as a smirk spreads across his face. I bite my lip as he leans in, teasing me as his hot breath hits my face, making my lips tremble.

"You hit like a girl," Gabe whispers with a smirk.

"Shut up," I mumble, a playful smirk spreading across my face.

"Come on. We have to practice and you want to see your brother, don't you?" Gabe grabs my hands and plays with them, ignoring the look of confusion given by Varly.

I roll out of bed and the guys leave me be. I quickly put on some yoga pants and an Avalanche hoodie. I pull my hair into a messy bun then I slip on my tennis shoes. Once I open the door, I see a group of my teammates awaiting me, consisting of Gabe, Varly, Matt Duchene, and Nathan MacKinnon.

"Good morning, sleepy head!" Nate chuckles as he drapes one of his arms over my shoulder.

"It's not a good morning," I mumble, shrugging his strong arm off from my shoulders.

Even though I was going to see my brother tonight, it also meant I had to see him. The man who took everything away from me. The reason for my nightmares every night. I was not excited about our possible encounter later. If I did see him, I knew I had a few words for him. Maybe try to throw a couple punches. I just hoped I didn't freeze up and not do anything at all. I needed to fight back and I needed to stand up for myself.

"Is it that time of the month, Mal?" Nate laughs, the rest of the guys chuckling along with him.

I quickly turn my head towards him as I glare at him. I already wasn't in a good mood, and maybe my monthly visitor was a factor. It had arrived once we landed in Boston. But that wasn't the main factor. It was me facing my worst enemy in a few hours.

"Shut up, Nate!" I growl at him, storming past all the guys as I make my way towards the team bus.

I make my way to the very back of the bus, taking the window seat as I shove my headphones into my eardrums. My thumb pad presses down onto the play button of my iPod; soon the screeching guitars and pounding drums of Skillet flooded through my ears. I close my eyes and I let the music take over me. That is until I felt the seat sink down. I crack open one of my eyes, curious to see who has taken a seat beside me. Sure enough it was Gabe with a worried look written across his chiseled face.

"Mallory, what's wrong?" Gabe whispers, pulling my headphones out of my ears.

"I'm not in a good mood." I mumble, my focus looking out towards the window.