Chapter Fourteen: Part Three - Missed Opportunity

Gabe's POV

I rushed up to Varly's apartment, not even bothering to knock. I opened the door and ran down the hallway, sliding as I make my way to the bathroom. I see the sight in front of me. Mallory lying in a pool of blood, paleness taking over her body. Varly hold her close to him as he cries into her chest. I shuffle into the bathroom and I kneel down beside her. 

"Mallory, come on, baby." I whisper, slowly taking her body into my arms. "Come on, baby. You're stronger than this."

I place my ear against her heart, hearing it beat weakly and slowly. I didn't know what was happening, but we needed to get her to a hospital before she lost too much blood. 

"Varly, call an ambulance," I whisper, trying to keep my voice from cracking. 

"They're on their way," he replies, sniffling as he wipes his nose with his hoodie sleeve. 

I held onto her until I saw a stretcher roll into the bathroom. The paramedics picked her body up off the floor and strapped her in. Varly and I followed the paramedics to the ambulance, watching them put her in the back. 

Varly and I quickly made our way to my car, and I followed the ambulance to the hospital. The silence between the two of us was unbearable. I could tell he felt terrible, and he knew I felt nothing but anger towards him; but I was thankful he let me know about Mallory. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to her and I didn't know about it. 

Varly and I rushed out of the car once we arrived at the emergency room, following the paramedics along the way. I was terrified I was going to lose her. I would do anything to keep her alive and healthy.

*

*

*

Hours passed as Varly and I sat in the waiting room, not mentioning a word about what had happened earlier with him and Mallory. Instead, we were both busy praying she would be alright. The doctors said she was losing a great amount of blood, but they wouldn't tell us how or why. I was scared to death that I was going to lose her. Please be okay. Please be okay.

"Gabe," I hear Varly whisper. "I'm really sorry about everything. It's all my fault."

I sigh in reply, looking down at my hands. Varly had finally apologized. I knew he was in a tough situation. He felt like he had betrayed both Mallory and me. Sure, I wasn't happy with him at the moment, but I was going to forgive him. After all, they were both drunk. It'll take some time for me to fully trust him, and Mallory, again... That is, if I can trust Mallory. I don't even know if she's going to make it. 

"I'm still mad at you, but I forgive you." I whisper, soon hearing rapid footsteps approach us. 

I look up and I see Matt and Nathan, worried expressions written across their faces. Nathan held in his hands a couple get well soon balloons, while Matt had several stuffed animals in his arms. 

"How is she?" Matt whimpers, his lip quivering as he sits down to my left. 

"I don't know," I reply, putting my head in my hands. "The doctors haven't said a word to us."

"We've been waiting here for hours," Varly sighs as if in defeat. 

We all waited around for what seemed like another couple hours before we saw a doctor walk towards us. Blood covered his light blue scrubs and I immediately thought the worst. She's dead.

The doctor slowly pulled his glasses away from his nose, pinching his skin and squeezing his eyes shut momentarily before he places the glasses back on to his nose.