Chapter 5

Gemma

" Yeah, well, you should've thought of that before you--"

"Hey firefly, you got a minute?" Andrew's voice cuts me off, mid-sentence.

Wait...firefly?

I turn around only to find him looking at Liam with a cautious expression.

"Umm what did you just say?" I ask him, to explain the ridiculous nickname.
It is strange enough that he would actually come up to talk to me but firefly? Seriously?

He doesn't take the hint though.
"I asked if you got a minute. I need to talk to you."

"In case you're unaware of basic manners as you are of our academic curriculum, you cut me off mid-sentence in the middle of a conversation. So whatever it is, I'll talk to you later."

"I'm well aware, firefly." He mocks, then adds, "But it can't wait. That's why I took the pain of coming all the way over to you." He is looking at me now.

And that look...

Any insult dies a quick death in my throat because the way he is looking at me right now? Like he is pleading but also ,somehow, he is angry? What? No.

I brush the thoughts away as I excuse myself from a very pleasant conversation with Liam, the guy I, somehow, keep getting bumped into. But today, it was not an accident that made me notice him. He was standing outside the school gates and turns out, he was actually here to pick up his nephew. I had just gone to say hi and then easily fell into a conversation with him.
Turns out he is a charmer as much on the inside as he is on the outside.

And now, I hate Andrew more for interrupting me.

"Yeah I'll be here till you finish chastising me for all the times I almost got myself killed." Liam winks.

"Hey it's your fault only. And I'm not chastising...just you know creating a sense of awareness."

"Sure ma'am." He grins and I can't help it, I grin back.

"Gemma." Andrew intercepts again. Seriously, I'm going to kill him someday.

"What is your problem?" I ask, after we are a few feet away.

He answers with another question of his own. "Who is that?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise I was suppose to tell you all about the people I interact with." I glare at him. Who does this guy think he is?

"No, but I don't think I've ever seen you talk to someone you had no business with increasing your grades, whatsoever. So, I guess I'm just surprised."

"I'm talking to you right now, aren't I? That should've been your first clue." I don't know what it is about him, but whenever he's around, I feel the need to wrap my hands around his throat. For all the wrong reasons that feels right. Both ways.

"Please, firefly," He rolls his eyes, "admit it already. You like this back and forth more than any boring conversation you've ever had with anyone."

He is kind of right and I don't even know why. Not that I'm ever going to admit that to him. Nope. Taking this one to my grave, for sure.

"Is there a particular reason for this pointless conversation or are you just here to hear the sound of your own voice? 'Cause if so, might I suggest doing that in front of a mirror in your own room. It'll make you look less crazy than you already seem."

"Uh, yeah, actually I..." He hesitates, "I need your help with some assignments." He looks sheepish as he rubs the back of his neck and looks down at his feet.

Huh...now, that's new.

"I'm sorry I don't think I heard you correctly. " I did. Although, this isn't really happening, is it? "Did you just ask me for my help after arguing with me for no reason at all and annoying me the whole year?"

"I guess. Although, I don't think I totally annoyed you, did I? Anyway I'm asking nicely, please, help me out." He pleads and somehow his eyes seem desperate than I've ever seen him. No, never. Andrew Sanchez is never desperate. In fact I'm surprised no one else helped him out with what his big fanbase and everything. He doesn't seem to like or care for all that attention, though.

"You actually need my help." It's not so much as a question as it is a statement but still, he nods.
"Yeah, I think that's gonna be a no from me." I stretch out the word 'no' if only to get it through his thick skull.

"But you keep helping everyone who needs your help. And I even said please." He says as if the word causes him physical pain upon use.

"Look, you're only gonna make me think of a 100 new ways and reasons to murder you. It's best if you ask someone else."

"Oh, firefly, so you do think about me. Well, can't say I'm not flattered." He winks.

"You see? This is exactly what I'm talking about. I can't work with that thick head of yours no matter how many times you say please." I say attempting his voice on the word.

"It's cute when you try to imitate me but that's nothing like what I sound. But I promise, I will behave." He straightens his spine and stands like an army soldier, waiting for command.

"You can't even comprehend the meaning of the word behave, let alone actually do it. Since when do you care about assignments, anyway?" I roll my eyes.

"I don't, but right now I have to. No matter your opinion of me, I don't wish to fail. Just help me out. I'll do whatever you want." His words seem more sincere than I've ever heard them.

"Fine. But one step out of the line and you won't be getting any help from me. And dont ever forget the part where you said that you'll do whatever I want." I cross my arms over my chest and raise an eyebrow at him.

"Never. You're the only one who can help, firefly. And trust me when I say I'll make it worth your while." He leaves with a wave of two fingers.

And I stand there trying to understand if I just made the biggest mistake by helping Andrew-freaking-Sanchez of all people.

......——————......