Chapter 19

Ethan

"Don't you worry, dear. I'm sure after your father gets here, you'll get all the answers that you need." I hear Evan say.

"What do you mean 'when he gets here'?" Elaine's voice is laced with panic, eyes wide as she waits for Evan to answer. 

"Your parents are on their way, right now. In fact, they've been on their way before I could have had a little chat with my dearest old friend and invite him here myself. I wonder how they knew, though." 

"Shit, we need to get away from here and call the cops, right now." I say when I see two of his men running out of the warehouse.

"Of course, that's the first thing you should've done before deciding to eavesdrop!" Mom scolded, before grabbing my arm and retreating towards the direction of our car. "They should be here any minute now. Come now, we need to get out of here before they find us." 

"But we can't leave them here, like this. We need to get them out." I watch as Andrew peers inside, not making any move to stand up.

"Andrew, this is not the time to be impulsive. It's bad enough that you decided to come here, all alone, for goodness' sake. Now, just listen to me. It won't be any good to us or them if we're caught. We need to go, hurry!" Mom, once again, pulls at my arm and starts running. We almost reach Andrew's bike before there's a crashing noise behind us.  

I stop and turn around, bringing my mother to a halt. 

Andrew stands there.

In his haste, he, accidently, seems to have knocked over a cardboard box, outside the warehouse, that had been providing us cover. The contents of the box fall out with a loud crashing noise.

"Ethan, hide!" My mother pulls at my sleeve and hides us both in the space between two warehouses.

I tilt my head to get a better view while still being hidden.

Time slows down as I watch his eyes widen a bit as he looks inside, frozen in his spot and then locks eyes with me and I mouth the words,"Come on! Run! Get here, fast!".

After what feels like eternity, he regains his senses and I almost run and strangle him for what he does next.

He climbs through the window we were peeking through, mere moments ago. Evan along with his two bodyguards round the corner just as Andrew climbs all the way through and I stand there, hoping and praying that they don't look in.
They all look at the now broken bits of the things that the box contained and then, Evan commands his men and all of them fan out in different directions...with one of his men coming right towards us.

I hide behind the wall I was peeking through, desperately trying to find a way to hide ourselves better but any wrong move right now could lead to us being caught dead.

"What's happening?! Where's Andrew, Ethan?" My mom whisper yells.

"Mom, don't make a sound." I whisper back, shaking my head and point towards the direction of the approaching man.

I hold my breath as I hear the footsteps approach closer and closer.  There's no way we're that well hidden in this cramped alley between two warehouses to go completely unnoticed as I'm sure that's the first place he's gonna look.

I look at my mum's face and for the first time, since the whole ordeal began, just how petrified she actually is.

My mother.

A lawyer.

Someone who's seen her fair share of nastiness in the world, is terrified out of her mind.