15

Let it be known that Daniel had an inherent distaste for Thanksgiving. 

For all the years he has been in the orphanage and adopted, he had never experienced what a warm thanksgiving had been like, all he had known in recent years were the cold of an empty table and the tears of little kids who died and tried to pick up the pieces of what remained.

So, instead of spending this year alone and wallowing in his own twisted misery, he decided to do the one thing he'd been thinking about for the longest time.

Visiting his hometown with the love of his life, Jay. And this was Jay's first thanksgiving without Eli.

Daniel hadn't truly intended on inviting his angel to a hometown visit, but his Jay was intending on spending Thanksgiving alone, and Daniel had loathed the thought of leaving his darling alone on a day that was supposed to be special.

So like the good unofficial boyfriend he was, he invited his darling to meet his extended family.

"Don't be so nervous, Jay," Daniel murmured and kissed his dear's forehead, the one thing he had been allowed to do by Jay.

His angel was practically shaking in the seat next to him, his nerves were alight, and looking so troubled a stranger would have thought Jay was in terrible trouble. "My family's not going to be forceful upon you, you know? I'd sooner leave than let them push you around."

Daniel smiled when Jay dug his head into Daniel's chest, his hand gently caressing his darling's neck. "It'll all be okay, alright? My hometown isn't much to gawk at anyway, we'll just be there to visit the family for 3 days then we'll leave."

Jay blinked up at him, confusion written all over his face.

"You're asking why I'm so calm when I haven't seen them in years?" A nod. "Well, how can I be panicking when my perfect angel's right next to me?" A dark blush and a gentle hit on his chest.

Truth was, Daniel was nervous, but seeing how panicked Jay was, it felt like bad taste to show his anxieties in front of Jay.

It's been a long time since he truly met his extended family, and Daniel wondered if any of them were like how he remembered.

No point dwelling on something that didn't matter too much, Daniel thought, especially not when Jay was cuddling his chest so adorably.

That was how the two of them spent their train ride, Daniel comforting a nervous Jay and ignoring the utterly disgusting state of the train and the carelessness of the passengers.

Daniel suspected that the low-grade train ride was also putting unnecessary stress on his dear. What a rich boy you are. Daniel thought, half amused.

When they finally arrived at the station in his hometown, Daniel gently led his dear down to the bus stop. "You didn't have to bring all this food, angel." Daniel chuckled, looking at the copious amount of bags Jay had in his hands, the one bag that carried his outfits hung off his shoulder.

"I'm surprised you hadn't decided to bring more clothing, Jay," Daniel mentioned. "My lovely angel always tended to overpack."

Jay flushed and gently kicked him in the leg. I'll go home if you don't stop teasing me.

"Fine, fine!" Daniel laughed, raising his hands in surrender. Jay was always so cute when flustered.

"I'm here!" Daniel called out, resisting the terrible urge to grimace in the face of the cobwebs.

Jay was practically shaking, staring down at the family dog that was barking at them aggressively. A dark glare from Daniel shut it up quickly enough.

"Daniel!" His family called out. "It's so nice to see you again!"