Chapter 1 - Not-so-newfound feelings

It was a beautiful and chilly night. They had just defeated the Snow Queen and it was time for the ball. Travis escorted Ling-Ling to the dance floor, while Astoria finally made up her mind and went to ask Shawn for a dance.

Rose and Hawk were standing at the corner, watching the two couples happily, until Fala came over to them and put their hands together. At first, they were scared by the sudden contact, but when they saw each other they smiled and intertwined hands.

The past events, such as the almost marriage between Hawk and Ruby and the whole battle against the Snow Queen, had made them accept the feelings they had towards each other, although neither of them was sure about the other's feelings.

After a minute lost in each other's gaze, Hawk bowed at her and offered his hand, after she accepted it, he led them onto the dance floor, both of them filled with nerves. When Hawk put his other hand on her waist, Rose felt shivers going down her spine as she looked into those icy blue eyes that had always made her feel butterflies in her stomach.

She didn't know why, but it took her too long to realize how much Hawk meant to her, and now that she knew that, it made her feel a little shy and look away from his eyes.

Hawk, noticing she looked a little tense, tried to lighten up the mood by spinning her around him as they danced. Rose chuckled, surprised by the unexpected movement, and her smile made Hawk's heart melt.

Looking at her, he could hear his overwhelming thoughts take place in his brain as the rest of the world disappeared around them. She was beautiful, the moonlight made her eyes shine brighter than he had ever seen, their intertwined hands felt like they were meant to be that way and her red rose lips looked more tempting by the moment.

Finally, as he could not bear one more second without unburdening his heart, Hawk pushed her closer by her waist, removing the remaining space there was between them. Her eyes widened in anticipation as their faces were just inches away, and he began to whisper against her ear.

"Rose, I-...".