Chapter 17 - Breaking Apart

Once the heroes got out of the Skull Rock, they called out for their dragons that flew them off, along with the devastated Lost Boys.

Landing home, the boys jumped off the dragons and formed a circle with their bodies, putting their heads to the center as they whispered not so discreetly.

"What are you doing?". Travis asked them with a raised eyebrow.

"We're planning on how to save Peter, of course". One of them answered.

"And don't you think we should be included in this?". Rose asked almost desperately, which made Hawk a little uncomfortable.

"Rose, please don't take this personally, we love you, but it's kinda your fault we even need a plan in the first place". The boy answered, not meaning to be rude or anything, but already being.

Rose felt bad besides the fact that she didn't really believe what the boy said. It was true that Peter surrendered to save her, but it wasn't her who put them in that situation.

No, she didn't really think it was her fault at all, the boys were just worried about their friend, but it didn't stop her from feeling hurt knowing they blamed her.

"How could she not take this personally? And what do you mean by 'her fault'? If anyone is to be blamed, try your fishtailed friends". Hawk interfered and defended her.

"And don't bother to include us in anything, we're not helping you anyway". He finished.

"What?" Rose asked, startled by the boy's estatement. "Hawk, how could you even think we're not saving Peter?"

"Look, Rose..." He gasped as he tried to find a good excuse for his selfish attitude that didn't involve being completely jealous of the elf looking boy. Truth is Hawk didn't see Peter as one of them, one of the good guys, because what good was he doing by trying to take the girl he cherished the most? Hook himself was less of a bad guy than Peter, for all that mattered, because at least he wasn't hitting on the blonde princess.

"He made a mistake by trusting those mermaids and put you in danger for that. All he did by switching places with you was correct that mistake, so I don't see a reason why we should endanger ourselves once again going back to that cave". He said, proud of himself for his quick thinking.

"Hawk, we've all made mistakes, countless times, but we always have each other's back when things get tough, just like we must have Peter's now"

Rose said and looked at Hawk with disappointment in her eyes.

"I thought you were different, Hawk. I've always looked at you like a hero, but that attitude is definitely not heroic". She sighed.

By telling him how she felt, Rose hoped that the boy would reconsider what he said, but it had a completely different effect.

Instead of being ashamed of himself for not wanting to help someone in need, Hawk felt his pride be hurt and his jealousy grew even more. How could Rose question his heroism in defense of that stupid guy?

He had proven to be a hero more times than she could count, and many of these times it was for her. The simple thought that she wouldn't recognize that scared him, and now it was not only a thought, she had said it loud and clear.

Hurt and angry, Hawk decided it wasn't worth the headache and didn't argue, he just looked at her with a blank expression and started to walk towards his dragon.

"I don't need to prove anything to you, Rose. Good luck saving your boyfriend". He said and jumped over the dragon's back.

"Wait, Hawk, what are you doing?" Rose asked, anxious.

"I'm going to find a way to save the school, there's plenty of us wasting time over a stupid rescue already". Hawk answered coldly and took off.

"Haaawk...". Rose shouted in an attempt to make him stay, but he didn't even look back.

She fell over her knee and brought her hands to her face, covering the tears that started to flow down her cheeks.

Astoria kneeled beside her and put an arm over her shoulder, caressing her friend as she prepared to say something she knew would make things worse.

"Rose, I know you care about Peter and I agree we have to save him, but honestly, you can't be mad at Hawk. He's right, we're running out of time, and it'll be better if we split up into two teams. You can go with him, if you want. I'll stay here and make sure Peter gets back in one piece". Astoria finished and awaited the blonde's answer.

"No! You and Joy go with Hawk, I don't think I want to be near him right now". Rose stated as she wiped the tears away.

Standing up, she covered up her sadness with a determined look.

"Travis, Ling-Ling, let's save Peter".