Chapter 9 - Divide and Conquer

A loud thump could be heard through the halls of the school as Hawk gave the wall a taste of his fist. He was frustrated.

How is it even possible that the very first time I can't save a princess in distress, it is my princess? He thought to himself.

"Whoah, where did the possession word just come from?" He thought out loud in an almost inaudible whisper.

"Did you say anything, Hawk?" Joy asked.

His face flushed at the question and he instantly replied.

"N-Nothing! I mean... W-We shouldn't have let Rose there with that evil nuthead. Some friends we are..."

He said, stumbling into the word 'friend' while trying not to overthink things too much. He was just worried as hell, that was all there was.

"We wouldn't be able to help her if we were captured, Hawk. Rose knows it, and she also knows we'll go back for her. But first, we need a plan". Astoria spoke and immediately started to work on it.

Half an hour later, the now fortified walls of the school started to crack, warning them the bad guys were getting closer to breaking through. But now, they had a plan.

"So, everyone knows what they're supposed to do, right?" Astoria asked. After everyone confirmed, the plan was put to action.

Travis, Ling-Ling and a squad of other students were in charge of the front door. Hawk, Astoria, Joy and the professors went for the back door, trying to sneak out while the others held them back.

"You really think your pathetic efforts to protect this school are going to pay off? I'll get in there even if it's the last thing I do". Vicky said a little irritated by the resistance of the students, not even noticing that some of them were missing.

As the distraction seemed to work, Hawk and the others sneaked from behind the school and prepared for the surprise attack. It was time to divide her attention, so she couldn't focus on attacking one group at a time.

"Give me Rose back, right now". Hawk shouted and startled Vicky, who instantly looked behind to see the group with their wands pointed out to her.

"How the hell...?" She grumbled. Seeing the confused look on the other villain's faces as they waited for her to tell them what to do, she shouted "What are you even looking at? Just get them all already".

The group of supervillains split in two, each dealing with a group of heroes, leaving Vicky vulnerable for there was no one else shielding her anymore.

Seeing the breach they left and the confusion going all over the place, Hawk went to his position and waited for the perfect moment to strike her.

Vicky was overwhelmed, not even knowing where to focus her attacks anymore. But then she heard a familiar spell.

"Frog magic". Joy shouted and her spell went towards Vicky, who looked only to see it pass by her side. "That was your stupid attempt to fight me? Even your aim is pathetic" Vicky mocked.

"Think again". Hawk said from behind her as he held his mirror shield up, that reflected the spell and hit her fully.

"Hurry Astoria, I don't think the spell will hold her for too long". Joy said and Astoria immediately hurried towards Rose, using her bracelets to melt the ice around her.

When Rose finally got freed, her limbs were numb by the coldness and she couldn't stand by herself. She felt her body leaning back as she was about to faint, but Hawk instantly got her, holding her in his arms and bringing her closer to warm her up.

Rose snuggled in his arms, letting the warmth of his embrace cover her up like a blanket.

"It's gonna be okay now, Rose. I got you". Hawk said, cupping her face with his free hand and brushing her cheek with his thumb.

For a brief moment, everything seemed perfect. She was safe in his arms and he didn't ever want to let her go again. But then, reality hit him like a truck.

"That is it. I've had enough of your meaningless heroism. Bad guys, destroy Rose and her friends". Vicky shouted as soon as she freed herself from Joy's spell.