𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

"Amore."

"Sì, in here."

I gulped down the remaining alcohol in the glass before discarding my cigarette. "Hey, love." I greeted my wife when I feel her hand on my shoulder.

"Why-"

"I don't want to do it?" I confess.

"No one is forcing you, amore."

"It feels like I don't have a choice." I say more to myself than the lovely woman standing next to me.

"Everyone has a choice."

"Not in this business, if we don't take certain actions, people end up dying."

"I know and I understand."

"I just-"

"Want to make sure that I'm safe and the kids?"

"Yea, I've been there for them- I just- I can't, you know?"

"Mhm, Love they will always love no matter what decision you make and they know you're doing it for their own good."

"You're getting closer to your due date and I don't want not to be there when I've been there for Rome and Ella."

"I should have left this business when Romeo was born."

"Me and you both know that Lorenzo was too young to take over and he has a life here, in America."

"Isabel also has a life there and what do Lorenzo and Dad want to do? Pack her up and send it off to Italy."

"That's unfair and I agree but can we look at what is at risk here?"

"People lives."

"I can't say I know how you feel-"

"Why aren't you mad?" Sensing the confusion on her face, I said, "Why aren't you mad at me?"

"I was but after everything too much has happened and I would like the kids to enjoy life before they have to start training and do stuff relating to the mafia."

"Rome doesn't mind, if anything he seems more eager every day to start his training."

"He gets that after you." I chuckle at the thought of my son being so reckless and fierce at his age.

"What are we going to tell them?" I broke the comfortable silence we were in.

"I don't know. Rome is too smart for his good and Ella is another story."

"Knowing the two..." She trails off.

"Maybe we should just-"

"Mom." We look at the door to the balcony to see the two little troublemakers.

"Sì mijo."

"Nothing just wanted to call you." She shrugs before skipping over to the bed.

"Where is your brother?"

Ignoring her mother's question, she said, "Nonno taught me to say 'brother' in Italian- fratello."

"Where's-"

"Papa, how comes Rome gets to speak Italian and I don't."

"You can, you haven't learned it yet although you live in Italy."

"Why?"

"Your mom wants you to learn Portuguese first."

"Well, I don't."

"Take that up with your madre."

"Isn't Portuguese like Spanish?"

"Italian is more Spanish than Portuguese is."

"Told ya." Her brother teased, walking into the room.

"Shut it."

"Okay. Hey mom, you alright?" Rome asked, drawing my attention to his mother.

"Yea." She forced a smile. I let it slide for now not wanting to worry the kids.

"Mama, can we watch 'Finding Dory' per favore." With a questioning look on her brother's face, she replied, "Uncle Mike, told me. Oh, papa, he said to tell 'Enzo we found his wife and kids,' and I'm so confused-" Her voice die down when I put my phone to my ear and walked toward the balcony.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

We sat at the long black oak table in the conference room. Yes, we have a conference at our house. "Capo, how should we go about this?" Mike voices his query. They all look at me and Angelo when we both remain silent.

"Your capo is now Lorenzo. He has proven himself in my and his brother's absence that he is capable." Father announced.

"But she's not here."

"I know she's your weakness figlio but she can also be your strength."

"Plus, you got her back when Isabel and Alex let her taken by the Russians." I add still over the fact that they foolishly let her do that.

"You really had to bring that up?" Izzy questioned.

"Sì sorella."

Translate: yes sister

"Santiago and Isabel Amara James." Mother warns.

"Mi dispiace." We say almost simultaneously, which results in a pleased smile from our mother.

Translate: I'm sorry

With a clasp of hands, Lorenzo announces, "Back on track, grazie. We make a simple and detailed plan to get Mrs. Петров, Raya, and Ryan. Mrs. Петров should be in this very room, latest two weeks from now."

Translate: Grazie- Thank you, Петров- Petrov

"Can Raya and Ryan stay here with Aurora and Romeo?" Alex asked with hope in his eyes.

As I went to reply, Mike beat me to it, "Jamiyla, can only answer that question since their her children." I made a mental note of Mrs. Петров given name "Jamiyla."

"How old is Raya?"

"She's now 10 and her brother 14. Their mother is 29." Mike answered, looking through so files.

"Where was she last seen?"

"With Петров in the Bahamas, three days. He's being extra careful because it barely got a glimpse of him or his family."

"Within 48 hours, I need to see plans on how we're going to get them away from that thing people call man." I could hear the distaste as Lorenzo talked about Петров.

"Remember, no innocence blood will be spilled." Lorenzo dismissed us, and we all left the room.