Chapter 65

Thursday 10th June, 1977

I left the examination hall in a hurry, as soon as it ended. The other students were cheering, finally free of O.W.L.s, and while I shared their delight I was also troubled by Selena's words, trying to clamp down the panic that she had brought to the surface.

Was Regulus really in trouble? Was his life at stake? I remembered the fight we'd had what seemed like an eternity ago, where he said asking his parents not to marry would be risking his life. Was that true? It shouldn't be, because Regulus was their only heir left. Surely they wouldn't risk the end of the Black family line because they were upset with him. Right?

I tried to reason with myself, yet I still felt that panic lurking under the surface, begging for a crumb of doubt or fear to overwhelm me. I didn't want to ruin the day though, especially since we just finished O.W.L.s, so I settled for ignoring it and bringing it up to Regulus at a later date.

I met up with Dorcas out the hall, wrapping her in a hug as we cheered now that O.W.L.s were over. I spotted our friends, Regulus among them, and brought Dorcas over, all 6 of us celebrating the end of O.W.L.s.

I hugged Regulus just a bit tighter than usual before high-fiving Barty who looked ecstatic at the end of exams.

"We need to celebrate!" Barty exclaimed.

"The marauders are setting up a party for us at the Gryffindor Common Room," I suggested hesitantly. "It's for all fifth years to celebrate the end of O.W.L.s. You guys can come if you want."

Avery grinned at me. "If there's alcohol, I'm in."

I rolled my eyes at him but was secretly grateful that he wanted to come. The others also voiced their agreement, Pandora claiming she's like to see the inside of the Gryffindor Common Room. I was relieved and agreed to get ready with Pandora and Dorcas in Pandora's dorm.

We got changed out of our robes and into some party clothes, doing a bit of light makeup on each other before meeting the others outside the Slytherin Common Room. We walked to the Gryffindor Common Room together with me in the lead since I was the only Gryffindor there.

When we entered the Common Room I found the marauders and walked over to them. They congratulated me when they saw me, patting me on the back and giving me hugs. James gave an especially tight hug, telling me he was proud of me as he did so. I pulled back with a grin on my face, quickly ruffling his hair before introducing him and the other marauders to my friends.

James gave them a smile, polite as ever as he greeted them, making me smile. He'd created this school party to try and get past his prejudice against Slytherins, and it seemed like he was actually trying. It made me happier beyond words.

I went to the drinks table, making sure not to drink too much as I poured myself a cup. I didn't fancy getting bat shit drunk and having a massive hangover the next day. I met up with Dorcas who was also getting drinks, and the two of us went to the dance floor together.

Rebel Rebel by David Bowie was playing, no doubt put on by Remus, and Dorcas and I danced to it, swaying to the rhythm as we tried to outdance each other. Eventually Marlene joined the fray and I gave Dorcas a wink before slinking off, watching in amusement as the two girls danced closer and closer together.

I walked over to Avery who was eyeing Frank Longbottom from across the room and nudged his shoulder playfully.

"Interested in him?" I asked.

Avery grinned at me. "Definitely. Pretty sure he's into Alice Fortescue though, she's another seventh year."

I squeezed his shoulder lightly. "Hey, you never know until you ask."