Chapter 67

Wednesday 30th June, 1977

I'd spent the last few weeks of school taking advantage of my freedom, spending as much time with my friends as possible. We spent days on end together, revelling in no longer having to hide our friendships.

I was concerned though. As it got closer and closer to the end of the school year, Regulus seemed to get more and more agitated. He was more fidgety, and nervous, and would often just blank out, as if thinking about something else. I'd asked him about it, but he always just assures me its nothing and says nothing more about it. I wasn't convinced though, not when I'd find him up in the middle of the night whenever I woke up. It was like he wasn't even sleeping, like whatever was plaguing him was that bad. He wouldn't open up to me though, so I didn't know what else to do but give him time to tell me on his own terms, if he ever would.

There was a flurry of activity in the dorm as I threw whatever I could find into my trunk, hastily packing as fast as I could. I'd left packing to the last possible minute, the day we were leaving, and I hadn't even had breakfast yet because of how much I still had left to pack.

The door opened and Regulus entered, sighing as he found me running around the room and carelessly tossing my belongings into my trunk.

"You're hopeless," he muttered, taking out his wand and muttering a quick spell under his breath.

All my things that I hadn't packed yet flew neatly into my trunk that Regulus had also rearranged so it was more neat and could actually fit the rest of my stuff in it.

"My saviour," I said, moving over to him and wrapping my arms around his neck for a quick kiss.

Regulus grinned at me. "I should help you out more often, huh?"

"I certainly wouldn't complain."

Regulus kissed me again before pulling back and resting his head in the crook of my neck. I stared at him, a bit nervous, before finally speaking.

"Do you want to come over to mine over break?" I asked hesitantly. "Not for the whole time, obviously, but for a bit of it?"

Regulus moved away, going cold like he always did when he was hiding something. "I probably won't be able to do stuff like that. Especially since your family are considered blood-traitors."

Worry clenched my gut as I moved forward. "Reg... is there something wrong? Do you not want to go home? Because you can come stay with me-"

"Nothing's wrong," Regulus said, cutting me off. "I'm just saying I probably won't be able to come over. I've got to go do some things, so I'll see you later. Remember to go have breakfast before it finishes."

With that he left, and I felt even more worried than before. He was definitely hiding something, something that was eating at him, but I didn't know what.

I followed his advice, going to the Great Hall and sitting at the Gryffindor table with the marauders as I started eating.

"Something wrong Y/n?" Sirius asked me. "You seem a bit down."

I wanted to tell him about my worries, about how I was scared his family was angry with Regulus, but I didn't want to worry him for nothing. He would get riled up and feel guilty and horrible for leaving Regulus there, and I didn't want him to go through any of that, especially if it was nothing and I was just being paranoid.

"Just sad to leave," I said instead.

Sirius nodded his head in understanding, glancing around the Great Hall. "Yeah, I get it. This place was the first ever home I had; its hard to leave it."