02.

SILVER.

It was so quiet. I liked that about the mornings. However, since I worked at a coffee shop, that wasn't going to last for very long. Usually, we get heavy traffic of customers in the morning, to where it dies down quickly the more it goes into the evening. But because the mornings get crazy about twenty minutes after opening, I am lucky enough to have another coworker with me.

Even though we were friends before she became promoted to manager, she never treated me differently after she got the title. It was a relief because I thought she was only nice to me because we were under the same rank. I wouldn't say she's my best friend, since I only see her during work hours no matter how much she says she's willing to hang out with me outside of this job, but she's still a close friend to me I would consider.

I was more comfortable when she was around, and I didn't have as bad of anxiety, especially when I was working. All we had to do now was wait for the flood of people to come in before they went to their own jobs. It was always fun to look at people's clothes and demeanor and guess who they worked for if it didn't have the company embroidered into their uniform.

My coworker was more soft-spoken and didn't like talking to people much, so I was usually the cashier. I didn't mind it too much, but I wasn't much of a talker myself, so I got burnt out after a few hours, which she would compassionately take over for me. We've had this routine for a while, and it worked out perfectly.

It was less than steady this morning, which was a little surprising. We would get a new customer maybe... every ten minutes? But it has died down even more than that. However, my eyes were raised when I heard the door open once again. The first thing I noticed about them was how observative they were, taking a gentle scan around the place before approaching me fully.

"Hi, what can I get for you?"

It's basically become muscle memory to say that phrase at this point, but when his eyes sharply shifted to mine, I wanted to raise my shoulders up in... discomfort? I don't know.

"Just a medium black coffee."

I've become so desensitized to everyone who comes in here because I have probably seen hundreds, maybe even thousands of strangers during my time of working... but he intimidated me. I accepted his order and gave him the total, to which he paid the exact amount, which was nice. Blaze was listening to him as she was minding her business since I could hear her making his order.

"You didn't ask if it was for here or not."

I heard her say to me, and I turned around, sucking air through my teeth. I don't know how, but that guy totally made my mind go blank... so not even something that I ask everyone popped into my mind to say to him. But I felt too embarrassed to try and say something now. He didn't look like someone who liked to talk, so I didn't want to bother him with it.

"Uhm, I'm sure it's to go."

I replied to her, but she wouldn't accept that.

"Just ask him, I need to know before I pour it. Assuming is what assholes do."

God, I hate her. She knows she doesn't have to do it, so she doesn't have to care about how this will make me feel. So, after a few seconds of building up my courage, I leaned over the counter and asked him the question I forgot to ask, which thankfully got his attention quickly. But I was right, it was to go. I didn't have to ask this whole time, she just wanted to torture me.

After she finished, she gave the cup to me to hand over to him, since he was closest to me. He gave me a slight nod before leaving, and then it was quiet again. Hopefully, nobody makes me nervous like that again today, or else I'm going to be struggling. I don't know what was special about him for him to make me feel that way, but overall, he just looked scary.

I was surprised that the rest of the day went smoothly and calmly, something that hasn't happened at the end of the week often. I and Blaze were able to drink our own cups of coffee and talk to each other, which was really nice. However, I was ready for the week to end, and for me to have time off. I want to say that I enjoy my time here... but after a while, I really get burnt out.