1

Word count: 2750

Original: 1254

I sat with crossed legs on the floor with my back resting against the wall of the dining room as I waited for the bell to ring. My first day at my new school. I'm not nervous, I know I should be but I'm optimistic, I want to believe my life will be better here.

I looked down at my watch although it meant nothing to me, I don't know when the bell normally rings but figured I had better take my headphones out in case I don't hear the bell. I sighed as I took my headphones off and stuffed them in my bag, I know they'll be tangled later but that sounds like a later-me problem. I arose from my spot, throwing my bag onto my shoulder as I headed to the doors. I expected students to be roaming the halls but closed my eyes as I winced realising the bell had already gone. I opened my palm looking at it as I read the door number my first class was in. I opened the door to the stairs and instantly heard sobbing. I looked around but no one was in sight, I walked silently as I started making my way up the steps. The sound of the sobbing faded and so walked back down. Behind the stairs was a secluded corner I wouldn't have even known was there, sat a boy. His legs were tucked into his chest as he wrapped his arms around himself and sobbed into his knees as he rested his head, hiding his face.

I looked around again curiously but took a deep breath before crouching under the stairs and approaching him.

"The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow," I quoted, I don't know why he's crying but if I can make him smile even once, I know I have helped. I'll try. He looked up slightly, his face still hidden except for his confused eyebrows and red, puffy eyes from crying. I smiled reassuringly as I sat beside him. He sniffled as he wiped his nose and sat up so I could see him. His lips trembled slightly and his face twitched as if he was trying to stop himself from crying. "You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think," I added and he chuckled slightly. I smiled knowing I had made his day a little brighter. He looked at me expectantly probably predicting that I had more quotes archived in my brain, he isn't wrong. "Let go of your past and it will let go of you," I added so he smiled, nodding as he thought. I smiled as I rested my head against the wall. I looked at the wall in front of us, my eyes entertained with finding each spec on the wall which didn't seem to be a part of the paint. We sat in silence, a comfortable silence.

"I'm Colby," He finally spoke making me smile, I looked at him to see he was already looking at me. His lips curled into a smile.

"I'm Carmen," I replied as I watched him, he has a fascinating face. A face that looks familiar like you've seen him everywhere you go but never met. His eyes were blue like crystals but the bloodshot veins within them made them appear even bluer. His hair was brown and swooped down over his forehead.

"Nice name," He added making my smile widen. I chuckled slightly at my thoughts.

"Nice face," I commented making him laugh. He has a sense of humour and he's cute... Good to know.

"Thanks, I made it myself," He joked making me laugh. The bell rang around us making him sigh. He's dreading the lessons, is that why he was crying? I smiled reassuringly before standing to a crouch so I wouldn't hit my head and offered him my hand to pull him up. He smiled as he looked at my hand before he looked at my eyes. He accepted my help and we walked from under the stairs. He looked at me expectantly presumably wondering which way I had to go but I smiled.

"Mistakes are proof that you're trying," I explained before smiling and heading up the stairs. I smiled as I heard him chuckle before the sound of students entering the stairwell overpowered the sound of him. I smiled as I jogged up the steps dodging students as I made my way to class.

I smiled as I approached the room, Colby was on my mind. I was looking at all the door numbers but thinking of Colby's eyes and smile. I noticed my door number and when there was an opening between the passing students I stepped inside. There were a few students already in their seats who chatted amongst themselves. I approached the teacher handing him the letter I had received when I picked up my timetable from the office this morning. The teacher finished typing before he accepted it with a smile. His eyes darted across the page as he read it. It was a get-out-of-jail-free card. I could dismiss myself from classes, no questions asked. When I was signing up for the school I talked with the receptionist and she got a note from the headmaster who catered to my needs quickly. The teacher nodded before handing me the note back and smiling.

"I'm Mr Gallager, take any seat you like," He explained making me smile. I turned to face the seats and noticed that no one seemed to care that I was there. I took a deep breath before taking a seat at the edge of the room, the row beside the window. I surveyed everyone as they entered the classroom, many came in either in pairs or big groups. No one seemed to notice me except one boy who walked in alone, he had his eyes low to the ground and only noticed me when he was at my desk he looked at me confused. I presumed he usually sits here as he looked around slightly wondering where to sit and resorted to sitting at the desk beside me.