First Strike

https://discord.gg/vJtaaaygvq Join my Discord server, it's fun. Nothing more to say. 

It was easier to explain to the hunters how Artemis was once married than to explain to a 10-year-old demigod his heritage. Perseus was sure that if he talked to Nico a little more than what he already had, his hair would start turning white out of exhaustion. That was saying something.

"Your father is an Olympian Nico," Perseus' voice was tired as he tried again.

Nico looked confused as he tried to wrap his mind around what was being said, "An Olympian... athlete?"

Perseus sighed again, he could see from the corner of his eyes that Annabeth and Thalia were having the time of their lives watching him explain to the kid about who he was, and who Hades was. Perseus couldn't help but sent a mental kick to Hades' mind, the boy had obviously inherited his ability to tire him out from his father. The lord of the dead had also been one annoying son of a Kronos as a child.

"No," Perseus said, "One of the major godthe s of Greek pantheon. An Olympian god of Olympus, your father is Hades, the lord of the dead."

Nico's eyes lit up at the information. His personal favorite figure from mythomagic was his father? It sounded dream come true. "Cool."

"No!" Bianca's voice raised and quavered, "This is serious Nico, it's not like one of your silly cards."

Nico's smaller figure retreated to himself as he stepped back and started playing with his cards in silence letting the adults have their conversation. Thalia stepped forward, remembering back when she had learnt about her heritage herself and remembering how shattering the news had been.

"Bianca, I know it's hard to believe. But it's true, you have one of the oldest gods alive in front of you and the other is your father. Gods are still around Bianca, from time to time they sire children with mortals and whenever they have children, the children are like us. Our lives are dangerous, filled with hardship." Thalia said, offering the little girl in front of her some comfort that she desperately needed when she had found out the truth for herself.

Bianca looked visibly shaken, like the earth beneath her had vanished and she was falling down into an unending abyss. Taking a step back, she sat down on a wooden log the hunters had put down around a campfire. This was too much information in too little time. She didn't know what to say or do. Finally, after a brief moment of thinking, she looked towards Perseus and asked, "And this camp is safe for people like us? My brother will be safe?"

It was at this moment that Artemis decided to intervene, she stepped towards the group and said, "No there is another choice for you Bianca."

Before she could even utter a word further, Perseus stood straight, his eyes hardening as he replied, "No there isn't. You will go to camp straight from here and learn to fight and everything else that you need to know. Your father's cabin was built just recently, and you will be claimed at night during the campfire."

Zoë made a move to protest but Perseus raised his hand and stopped her before she could begin. "I don't know everything that has happened since I left, but I remember that I created the hunt to give maidens who had no home or family a place to live and prosper. Not to tear families apart. I created the hunt to be better than that."

Artemis and her hunters all fell silent when they heard him. The older hunters all looked down to hide their shame, they remembered what the hunt was when Perseus left, and what it had become since the time he left. They had strayed from their path.

The younger hunters on the other hand bristled at his comment. They were far too arrogant thinking themselves under their mistress' protection that they forgot when not to cross a line. Artemis' influence ran wild on the hunters and they thought that they could treat Perseus like they had treated Apollo countless times and their mistress would just laugh over it. "Who do you think you are to tell us what we can and can't do?" One of the younger hunters challenged, she had been in the hunt for a few decades and never noticed someone disrespect the hunt like this.