Mourning & Decisions

https://discord.gg/vJtaaaygvq Join my Discord server, it's fun. Nothing more to say.

Another thankful work by my beta Saans1512

There was a moment of silence as everyone recollected what had just happened. No one moved or spoke anything, their eyes trained towards the massive cavern that had just opened in front of them and swallowed the daughter of Athena.

The hunter named Naomi's body had fallen to the ground next to the cavern, an earthen spike protruding from her heart, her eyes wide in terror, and blood spilling from her mouth. It was a gruesome sight for any to bear, but the sheer malevolence that was radiating from the cavern only added to the horror.

It took everyone a minute to realize the damage that had just been done. Artemis was the first to move, she sprinted from her position towards her fallen hunter. She reached her and cradled her lifeless body in her lap, while no tears were falling from the stoic goddess' face, her grief was noticeable to everyone present. The rest of her hunters also gathered around her, shedding tears for their fallen sister.

Thalia soon followed and fell to her knees, silent tears escaping her eyes as she curled into herself. No one had the heart to say anything to console the daughter of Zeus. She had woken up a month ago from her slumber only to find out that one of her best friends had turned traitor and fled towards the enemy line, and now she was forced to see her friend whom she had treated as a little sister fall into the pit.

Perseus finally moved and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder, making her look up at him. Pain and rage were clear in his eyes as tears escaped from them, but in her grief, Thalia didn't notice it, she stood up and faced the god and started punching his chest.

"Why did you let her fall down there?" She punched him, "Why couldn't you save her?" Another punch was thrown, "You're a god, you should've saved her." Each of her questions was followed by a punch.

Perseus didn't say anything in his defense, he just stood there taking the hits silently, looking defeated. Thalia couldn't keep up with herself long as she almost fell down again, but the lord of fate caught her and pulled her against himself. Letting her use his chest to smother her tears.

After Thalia calmed down, Perseus looked down at her with a pained look, "It was the presence of my father. While I may be God of Time, he also holds the same domain. Both of our natures clashed against each other, and the presence of Gaea only strengthened my father's power. While I may be powerful, she is a first-generation Primordial. She holds power unfathomable to us, and she will only grow stronger."

Thalia couldn't say anything, she was too lost in her grief. Perseus looked around to see Artemis and the hunters securing the dead huntress to give her the final rites. Nico had cried himself to sleep and was curled up beside a tree.

Perseus joined Artemis as the hunters put their sister in a pyre, some words were spoken, but most were lost to the god as he just stared at the burning body of the huntress. This was the first casualty of the war; the numbers would only grow as long as the war stretched. That thought made him sick, having to watch children fight and die. His domain of fate was a cruel thing indeed.

After the funeral was finished, the hunters all stood waiting for further instructions from their mistress. Only to be met with silence. Artemis herself was looking towards Perseus, wanting to comfort him but not knowing whether it would be accepted or not. So, she watched as the Lord of fate cracked his neck and spoke in a firm tone, "I am going after Annabeth."

It took everyone a moment to digest what he said, before the elder huntresses, Thalia and Artemis shouted, "WHAT?"

Perseus looked over his shoulder towards the group of hunters, demigoddess and goddess. He regarded them for a few seconds before continuing, "Annabeth is falling into the pit as we speak currently. It takes around 7-9 days for someone to reach the bottom of the pit if they fell in through a hole. She is alone, scared, and weak down there. I can't allow her to carry on as such in any circumstances."