Bunk Beds With The Enemy

The fire nation uniform was a sweat machine. You had to be the smallest on board, only a head shorter than most of the men around. The mask and sleeves covered your tattoos so no one could see you weren't actually a fire-bender. Not to even mention, you were the only woman on the ship.

You often met with Iroh to see how things were going, but you were now just in one of the chambers with Zuko. You were lucky it was a bunk bend chamber, enough for two soldiers. You had dibs the top bunk, for two reasons. One: it was cooler. Two: you could change on the top bunk without worry.

As of right now, you were throwing a random piece of metal in the air and catching it as you lay on your back with an arm under your head. You were probably ticking up off, as the room was getting hotter and his annoyed scoffs and sighs were filling whatever was left.

"Would you stop that!" He yelled, finally, making you throw the metal in the air one more time.

"What's the matter with you?" You asked as you rolled on your side, peering down from the top bunk. You saw his enraged face. "Hmm...need I ask."

"Your annoying me, that's was wrong." He shook his head, closing his eyes.

"I'm terribly sorry, your royal highnesses. My goal was to make you pissed." You apologised with a grin.

"It's working!" Zuko yelled back. You sighed, returning back to your bed and laying down flat, looking up at the ceiling once more.

A moment of silence passed by, but you got bored easily, and you were curious so you went straight for the questions. Starting with the first thing on your mind, which was what you thought to be brilliant, but kinda wasn't.

"Can I ask you something?" You flipped on the bed, laying on your side.

"What?" He sighed, trying to push away his annoyance.

"How'd you get that scar? If you don't mind me asking." You said gently. When a person has scars, they'll most likely be sensitive about it, so you were cautious.

Zuko didn't speak for a moment. There was just silence in the room once again, and you were about to move on to the next question until he spoke slowly and almost calmly for the first time you've met him.

"Have you heard of an Agni-Kai?" He asked, to which you hummed in agreement. "I made the fire-lord angry when I was 13. He challenged me to one, and burnt my face before banishing me."

You sucked in a breath. "The fire-lord...I thought he was your father."

"He is."

You blinked, and took a big breath in, taking in the knowledge you just learnt, but now. Oh, now you were more curious. "What made him so angry?"

"He let me attend a meeting. What they were discussing, I thought they were wrong, so I said it was wrong. I guess he didn't like that... He told me the only way to restore my honour was to bring back the avatar." He said it with such vulgar.

"Which is why your so hell bent on taking him." You understood it a small bit now. "Wait- you've been looking for Aang since you were 13? You can't be 13 now! How old are you?"

"I'm 16." He stated.

You sat up. "Your telling me, your bitch-shit prick of a father banished you to look for someone who was pronounced 'forever gone'? You've been trying to fix your banishment for 3 years?"

"I have to regain my honour!"

"From who? Your father?" You jumped down on the bed. "What honour does a man who banished his child son to look for nobody, have?! Where is the honour in that?"