💌 | Dottore x Mermaid!GN!Reader

❛❛ When Two Worlds Meet ❜❜

•──────────✧──────────•

❛❛What a fascinating creature...❜❜

Pairing(s): Dottore x Mermaid!GN!Reader

Genre/Format: Fluff (oneshot)

Warning(s): Use of Dottore's (speculated) real name

wc: ~2.8k

Notes: I'm still on writer's block and I wanna write something to give myself some ideas or to warm up. I originally wanted to write reader as female but nah. I want everybody to be able to enjoy, so please tell me if you see any female pronouns!

•──────────✧──────────•

With a curious mind, one would hope to seek more of the world around them. To salvage knowledge for their minds to ease that inquisitive hunger. As both a scholar and a scientist, his thirst for knowing more thrived. If there was an opportunity to learn, he wouldn't turn it down.

He was now on a ship, sailing from Snezhnaya to Sumeru; he had research to conduct there. It rocked along with the foamy waves as he stood there on the top deck, overlooking the vast ocean before his eyes. It was a sea of turquoise, with sun glitter bouncing off of the water surface. He usually didn't care for such mundane things, but even he had to admit, it was quite a lovely view.

He took out a watch from his pocket and took a peek at the time.

Still had a few hours left before he'd reach the Sumeru docks...

He groaned a bit before putting his pocket watch away. As much as he enjoyed the view, he wanted to start his project already. Any moment longer and he'd-

"Sir!"

His thoughts were cut off when a Fatui agent ran to him. His face was covered by a mask, so The Doctor wasn't able to read his facial expression. However, judging by his frantic movements, it seemed to be urgent.

"There's a-"

Before the agent could finish his sentence, a brief moment of bright light flashed, followed by an ear-piercing rumble in the distance. The Doctor turned his head to where the sound came from and he could see the clouds in the sky were getting darker. He then started to feel multiple droplets landing on him...

A thunderstorm was heading their way.

His gaze went from the sky to the raging sea when he felt a strong wave crash against the ship. As it tilted, he held onto the railings as tight as he could, careful not to slip on the now wet floorboards. Everything was a mess, the screams of the staff on board were lost in the roaring winds as the waves got more intense. It was as if the gods of the sea and sky were doing anything they could to make them sink.

"My lord!" One of the staff yelled.

Before The Doctor could learn of what caused him to yell. He felt a sudden force hit him from behind and a piece of wood pierced into his leg. He gritted his teeth at the sudden sensation and lost his footing, also causing his hands to let go off the railings subconsciously. Before he could make sense of everything, he was wondering why the ship was upside down and he was getting further away from it.

Why was it that everything around him was blue and it felt so cold?

And why... Why did it feel like his lungs were on fire?

He opened his mouth and tried to breathe, but he saw bubbles floating to the top. That was when he realized he was swallowed by the ocean. With his leg injured and his body weak from whatever hit him. He was unable to do anything. He could only watch as his body slowly got further away from the surface above...