Chapter 16

The Tiānkōng Empire was a vast, peaceful, dynasty that had been built on knowledge, philosophy, combat, skill, and above all honor. Honor was a trait considered more precious than jade or silk or any other fine riches, and a person's position in the empire was based on their honor. Makarov was known as the most honorable man in all the empire, once a young samurai who was strong, intelligent, brave, and an excellent fighter. But it was his kindness, patience, wisdom, and humility that earned him the great respect of all Tiānkōng including the emperor. Now the emperor had never married and never sired any children, he had sepnt too many years building the empire and ensuring that it would thrive. But he considered Makarov to be the son fate would have granted him if it was to be. So when the old emperor felt his time on earth was at an end, he declared Makarov is heir.

Makarov ruled the Tiānkōng Empire benevolently, bringing great joy and prosperity to his subjects while doing everything in his power to protect them. When Tiānkōng lived in peace with the other realms, he had nothing to fear, then came the Great War. It pained him to send so many men to die in battle, to watch as so many mothers, sisters, wives, and children mourned for the loss of their sons, brothers, husbands, and fathers. In his heart he knew it was for the good of his people, but he did not feel victorious.

Makarov wished to fight alongside his men, but the council declared too old for battle. His son and heir Ivan was sent to lead the army in his father's place, but while Ivan was equal to the emperor in strength and combat, he lacked his wisdom and compassion. He was a ruthless war monger, who shed blood every opportunity he had, and he refused any and all attempts at non-violent solution. He would not negotiate or even consider a possible peace treaty. This displeased his father greatly.

"The only honor in war and battle is to defend and protect!" He had told Ivan. "But you have killed for pride and power! You murdered a warrior who was unarmed and injured! There is no honor in such ways!"

"Old age has made you soft Father." His son replied. "We must take drastic measures to show our strength and power, that way none of these other realms will ever challenge us again. Tomorrow, we take The Kiwanja Tribe."

"What?!"

"Our army out numbers those savages three to one. Conquering them should be no trial, and afterward we move on to the Lazan City and the Vendershav Kingdom. Father, we shall rule all four realms."

"Enough! Silence! I shall hear no more of this!" He declared furiously. "I commanded my armies to fight in this war in order to protect my people! Not to conquer the world!"

"Don't be a fool a Father!"

"No Ivan, you are the fool! To dare suggest that we take such an evil and unforgivable path! You disappoint me terribly my son! You have no honor!"

Ivan had been given the ultimate disgrace. His father, the emperor, had declared him to be dishonorable. Which he was, and all his men lost respect for him. He became desperate to reclaim what he had lost, but instead of doing so by ending his murderous ways and seeking redemption, he chose to make a vile, unnecessary, and unforgivable sacrifice. He sent his eight year old son to fight in battle and put him on the front line. He thought that sending his first born and only son to die in battle would appease his father and people.

By the glory of God, Ivan's general defied him and rescued the boy from the war zone, then sent him back to his grandfather's palace. Seeing how far Ivan was willing to go and fearful for the life of his grandson, Emperor Makarov had to make the most difficult decision of his life. More difficult than sending men to fight in the war. He had his son arrested and executed for high treason. It broke his heart and he vowed never to forgive himself.

After the war ended, he never wanted anything to threaten the empire again, out of fear that such times would corrupt another in the same manner it corrupted his son. So he ordered that a massive and strong wall be built on the empire's boarders in order to keep out invaders and future wars. He had considered trying to make peace with the other realms but the council persuaded him not to, under the belief that it was in the best way to secure a safe and thriving future for his new heir, his grandson Laxus.