Chapter 33

While Gray explained the situation to Lahar and Ur, Juvia was looking all around, overwhelmed with curiosity and amazement over everything she had seen so far. The Summer Palace itself had been built of bright yellow shining stone, with long flights of marble steps, one of which reached quite down to the sea. Splendid gilded cupolas rose over the roof, and between the pillars that surrounded the whole building stood life-like statues of marble and at the center was a garden of the most enchanting and radiant flowers that came from all over. Roses, Lilies, Jasmine, Ranunculi, Lotuses, Wisteria, Pansies, and Elstormerias. Such flowers had never been seen in her world and she thought that no blossom could compare to these.  Inside there were glittering crystal chandeliers hanging from a towering ceiling, immense paintings, rich carpets, silk curtains, tapestries, a huge fireplace, and a gigantic winding flight of stairs. The hallways appeared endless and lined with countless doors that led to rooms that she was just dying to explore.

"Well I don't actually know her name." Gray said to his two most loyal servants. "She can't speak."

"Looks to me as if the girl just washed up from a shipwreck." Lahar said observing her. "She's obviously in a state of shock."

"How terrible." Ur said sympathetically. "The poor thing."

They looked over to see Juvia peering up the long flight of stairs, wondering where they went. She tried to climb them, but she was still not used to her legs and she wobbled for possibly the sixth time this morning. Ur quickly went to support her.

"Come with me honey." She spoke warmly. "I'll get you out of those rags, clean you up, and find you something more decent to wear."

"I'll arrange for some dresses to be purchased for her convenience and have a bedroom prepared for her." Lahar said.

"In the mean time though, she can wear some of my mother's dresses." Gray said. "She looks about the same size Mother was when she was young."

Juvia smiled as Gray and his servants looked at her and spoke to her which such concern. She was right, humans were capable of kindness. They weren't all cruel and heartless. Oh if only her brother could see this for himself.

Juvia was then led into an ornate bathroom where Ur decided to run her a bubble bath. After filing the porcelain tub with hot water and bubbles, she lit some candles and brought out some special rose petals and oils. It was unlike anything Juvia had ever felt. Heated water that was scented like flowers and full of these bubbles that just floated about in the air. Something like this, she had never even heard of.  Once she was settled into the tub, her eyes were lit with wonder and she began to play around with the bubbles.

"My goodness, what a mess you've made of your hair." Ur chuckled as she dropped rose petals into the water. "Lucky for you though dear, I know the perfect way to wash a woman's hair. Now you just relax and leave the rest to me."

She began to wash Juvia's hair with a mixture of lavender oil and soap shavings, next she rinsed it with a pitcher of water, then proceeded to brush out the wet tangles with a comb. Ur was quite impressed with how incredibly silken this girl's hair was despite her condition, her fair skin was also something to marvel at. She couldn't recall ever seeing another maiden with skin so alabaster and radiant. After rinsing her with another pitcher of water, she dried her off with two towels, and wrapped her up in a white bathrobe.

"Now you wait here. I'll dispose of these old things and bring you something much more pleasant to adorn yourself with."

She picked up Gray's old shirt and the wreath from the floor. Juvia quickly stopped her by gently grabbing her arm.

"Why, whatever is the matter dear?"

She carefully placed her fingers over the wreath Ur held, the one that had been a birthday gift from her sisters. She may have been human now and was now living in the surface world, but she would never discard her whole life completely. Not all the memories of her beloved family.