Chapter 4

"Achcha Zubia, Ab jaldi se andar chalte hain, tumhaare liye ek surprise hai!", Lubna said and all of them walked into the house.

As Zubia walked into the lounge, She saw a lady sitting on the couch. The lady's back was facing Zubia at the time. She walked a little closer to the lady and was left by surprise.

"Khala Ammi!!!", she screamed with a wide smile on her face and quickly went and hugged her.

"Zubia! Meri bachchi! Kaisi tabiyat hai ab tumhari ?, Khala enquired as a wave of concern hit her face.

"Bahut behtar feel kar rahi hoon, Khala Ammi, aur aap ko yahan dekh kar toh khushi dugni ho gayi hai!", Zubia said and Khala Ammi kissed her lightly on her forehead.

Asfand too walked in and greeted her with a smile.

"Achcha!, Toh aap hai Rashid Ali, Zubia ke 'dost'!" She said while she pulled his ear lightly and smirked at him. Asfi gave her a shy smile and sat himself down on the other sofa.

In the meanwhile, Gaiti and Lubna were in the kitchen prepping for some tea and snacks and Usman was in his study, making some calls.

"Aaj main bohot khushi hoon, Zubia beta! Tumhe yahaan aa kar itne pyaar karne vala khaandaan mila! Tumhaari maa bhi aaj bohot khush aur pursukoon hogi!". Zubia smiled lightly and a few tears rolled down her cheeks.

Asfand sat there quietly, listening to Zubia and Khala Ammi's conversation. He was happy to see that Zubia seemed less reserved and stressed than she used to be initially. He felt grateful! He knew though, that her wounds were deep and that she would need time, but he didn't mind. He just wanted to be by her side and was glad that she had decided to take that leap of faith with him.

Just then, Gaiti walked in with a tray full of Tea cups and Pakoras in her hand and Lubna followed her. Gaiti served the tea and sat herself down next to Asfand and Lubna sat next to Zubia.

"Toh, Kaisa laga humaara surprise?", Gaiti asked while grinning from ear to ear.

"Bahut, Bahut achcha! Thank you Gaiti Bhabhi!", Zubia said as she smiled back at Gaiti.

"Wah! Bhabhi haan? You're welcome, Devraani jee!. But that's not all! Ek aur surprise hai tum done ke liye", she said looking at Zubia and then Asfand.

"Aur voh kya hai, Bhabhi?" Asfand asked.

"Yahi, ki kal subah tum dono ki Mangni ki rasm hai!", Gaiti said with with a wide smile.

"Par kal subah toh mujhe hospital jaana hai!", Asfand and Zubia said, almost in unison, like they had planned it out. Lubna, Gaiti and Khala Ammi looked at both of them, stunned and then all of them burst out into laughter.

"Nahi bhai, kal tüm dono ki official chhutti hai. Meri Dr. Shehroze se baat ho chuki hai aur mujhe iss topic par koi behas nahi chahiye. Tum dono parson se hospital jaoge", Usman said sternly as he walked into the room and gave Asfand an almost threatening look.

"Jee Baba, jaisa aap kahein", Asfand said helplessly.

Later, the whole family had their dinner together. Lubna aunty and Gaiti insisted that Zubia and her Khala stay over at their place tonight. Zubia was a little reluctant initially, but eventually, she gave in.

Zubia and Khala ammi had just settled into the guest bedroom after a delicious dinner and some Kashmiri pink tea. Everyone else had gone to their bedrooms as well.

While Khala ammi was in the balcony, talking to her son on the phone, Zubia sat on the bed with her head resting on the bed frame and her legs stretched out. "For some weird reason, It feels like a burden has been lifted off my shoulders after years. Coming here today and spending time with these wonderful people felt so peaceful. Though I have spent time with them before too, today was just.. different?" She thought to herself.

Just then, her phone buzzed. It was a text from Asfand.

A: Hope you've made yourself comfortable. Let me know if you need anything.

A: And yes, I'm excited for tomorrow :)

Z: Hi, Yes we're comfortable and I'll let you know. Thanks :)

Z: Umm, Can we talk?

A: Sure, do you want to take a walk outside?

Z : Sounds good, I'll be there.

Zubia quickly took her phone and went out of the room to meet Asfand, while Khala was still on the phone.

"Hi!", Asfand said with a smile as Zubia approached the patio. He was already there, waiting.

"Hi", Zubia said with a light smile.

"Sab theek hai na?", Asfand asked with only a slight wave of concern on his face.

"Haan, All good. I..I just wanted to thank you actually.", Zubia said while looking down at her feet, hesitant to look into his eyes. He, on the other hand, was looking at her intently.

After he had heard what she said, he pushed her chin up gently with his fingers, so she would look at him and held her chin with his hand."Thanks? Kis baat ke liye?", he asked.

"A-Aapne mujhe trust kiya, judge nahi kiya, after knowing everything about my past and after all the pain I put you and your family through, after doing what I did last week.", Zubia said as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Zubia, Hum sab ghalatiyaan karte hain. It's okay. That's what makes us human. You're a wonderful human being. Despite going through so much pain in life, you're so giving, so empathetic. You inspire me and I'm so proud of you. Whatever happened in your past doesn't matter to me at all" He said as he cupped her face with both his hands.

"I feel so happy today.It feels weird, unknown.. I-I feel like I don't deserve it, I don't deserve you and your wonderful family", she said as more tears ran down her cheeks.

"You deserve the world, Zubia! I'm lucky that you chose me, and took that leap of faith. If you really want to do something for me, just promise me one thing..", he said and Zubia gave him a questioning look with her eyes.

"That from on, if something is bothering you, scaring you, you will share it with me. Aaj tak tum ne bahut saari jungein akele ladhi hai, par ab se hum dono mil ke in jungon ka saamna karenge, Okay?", He said while he continued to hold her face with his hands. She nodded. He put her arms around her and hugged her.They stood there, under the moonlight, in each others arms.

Zubia came back into her room and was slightly relieved to see that Khala ammi had already dozed off. Just when she had pulled the comforter over herself, her phone buzzed and it was Asfand again.

A: Goodnight, almost fiancé, see you tomorrow!

Z : Goodnight, Hitler sahab ;) , Zubia responded.