Chapter 5

"Zubia!, Utho aaj tumhaari mangni hai!", Zubia was woken up from her deep slumber by Khala Ammi. She sat up on the bed, disoriented and rubbed her eyes. Just as Khala Ammi's words registered in her head she thought to herself, Mangni? Wow, I'm actually getting engaged to the one man who has been changing my perspective about how men are, ever since he came into my life. The man I couldn't resist falling for, no matter how much I tried. If someone had told me 6 months ago, that I would be getting engaged to my khadoos, haibatnaak, dehshatnaak boss, I would have killed them back then. She smiled lightly as she thought about how funny life was. She quickly jumped out of her bed and ran to the bathroom when she heard footsteps outside the room. She didn't want Khala ammi to come and nudge her to wake up one more time.

She freshened up quickly and walked into the dining room. She was surprised to find it empty. She walked into the kitchen to find Gaiti and Khala ammi busy with preparing lunch.

Good morning, Dulhaniya!, Gaiti said as Zubia walked into the kitchen. Zubia just stared at her feet while she blushed at Gaiti's salutation.

"Yeh lo, Nashta kar lo jaldi se, tumhe tayyaar karvane ke liye parlour vali aati hi hogi", Gaiti said handing Zubia a plate of food.

"Jee", Zubia responded while taking a bite of her food.

"Sab.. kahan hai, nazar nahi aa rahe?", Zubia asked while scanning the dining room and lounge.

"Sab? Ya Asfand ka puch rahi ho?", Gaiti said turning to Zubia with a smirk.

"Jogging kar ke abhi aaya hai, apne kamre mein hai, fresh ho raga hoga", Gaiti said without letting Zubia respond to her taunt. 

Just then the house help walked in to inform Gaiti that the parlour lady had come to help Zubia get ready for the engagement. Zubia finished her breakfast quickly and went back into her room to get ready for the engagement.

It was time for the engagement. It was a very small scale and private ceremony, with very close family members and friends. Dr Shehroze, Dr.Asifa, and Dr.Haroon and a few other staff members from the hospital came. The rest of them were on duty. Rehan wasn't going to be able to attend the engagement in person, because he was on an urgent business related trip. He was going to attend the function via Skype video call. This was a relief for Zubia because she hadn't been able to forgive him completely and was still coming to terms with the fact that he had apologised. Naturally, she couldn't get herself to trust him again.

As All the guests sat in the lounge, waiting for the couple to arrive. Asfandyar walked in. He chose a simple cream coloured kurta-pyjama with a cream coloured self print waist-coat. He looked handsome and elegant as always. Today for a change though, he walked into the room with a wide smile, greeted everyone and sat himself down on the sofa. His eyes were almost glued to the entrance of the guest-bedroom. He looked so happy and he felt at peace, like a burden was lifted off his chest after years! I'm getting engaged to the woman who taught me to love again, to smile again, to live again!, he thought to himself.

"Kiski socho mein gum hai sir?!", Dr Haroon nudged Asfandyar with a smirk.

Before Asfandyar could respond, he was awestruck as he saw Zubia walk into the lounge with Gaiti and Lubna on either side. She looked at the ground and had a light smile on her face as she walked towards him.

She was wearing a flowy lilac Anarkali with silver embroidery all over and a comparatively heavy net dupatta that was also lilac in colour with silver embroidery and tassels. She wore light makeup. Some blush, a nude-pink lipstick, some mascara and Kajal. The outfit was paired with silver jhumkas, a minimalistic silver choker and bangles that matched the outfit perfectly. Her dark-brown, straight hair was let loose. She looked like a princess.

Asfand was left mesmerised while she came and sat herself down next to him.