Chapter 12

As-Asfand pl- please!", she managed to utter, just whisper.

Just as he managed to register what she had just said, his trance broke a little and almost instinctively, he turned her around to face him and looked directly into her eyes.

"Kya kaha aapne?" He said with an amalgamation of pride and passion oozing out of his eyes. That's when Zubia realised that she had called him by his name for the first time, ever!

A wave of shyness took over her already disoriented self, while she stared at her feet, unable to look directly into his deep, dark and passionate eyes. Asfand moved his face further close to hers and their fore-heads touched. One of Asfand's hand s moved from Zubia's waist, up to her cheek and he caressed it gently with his fingers. Their faces were now only a few inches away from each other and now, Zubia wasn't even able to stand properly. Their proximity and his touch were doing things to her that she had never felt before. Just when she was about to lose her balance, Asfand tightened his grip on her waist with one hand, and she involuntarily wrapped her hands around his waist for support.

"Kya keh rahi thi? Phir se kaho?", he said, in a husky voice and his lips brushed very gently against hers for just a few milliseconds while he spoke, .

"Koi aa jayega, please chodein", she said while struggling to get out of his hold and pleading to him with her eyes.

"Pehle voh kaho, jo abhi kuch second pehle keh rahi thi, aur chali jao. Jitni jaldi kahogi, utni jaldi jaa paaogi", Asfand whispered again

Just as Zubia was getting herself to utter his name, she heard her cousins voice at a distance, calling out to her.

"Asfand", she quickly whispered and got herself out out of his hold and ran to the door. She unlocked the door and looked back at him. Their eyes locked for just a second before she ran downstairs.

She left behind an Asfand who was grinning from ear to ear! "Haaye! ab toh apne naam se bhi mohabbat ho gayi hai mujhe , Dr. Zubia!", he said to himself

It was now time for the ubtan ceremony. Asfand and Zubia were seated side-by-side. Asfand looked dapper as usual, in a simple white chikankari kurta-pyjama. The ceremony was planned to be a small scale one and was happening at Zubia's maternal home itself. In the ubtan ceremony, all the guests were supposed to come forward one by one and smear ubtan (a mixture that consists of sandalwood paste, gramflour, turmeric and rosewater) on the bride and grooms faces.

Just when a few of Zubia's relatives had started applying ubtan on the couple, Dr. Shehroze, Dr. Asifa, Dr. Haroon, Dr. Zeba and Dr. Shahab walked in. Rehan and Usman went to escort the guests inside and Saim ran into Dr. Haroon's embrace as soon as he saw him. Leaving Gaiti Shocked.

Lubna and Usman applied ubtan on their son and daughter-in-law and gave them their blessings. Rehan and Sheema did the same. Sheema remained civil with Zubia all throughout. Even though she was guilty, she hadn't yet mustered up the courage to seek an apology from her sister-in-law. Next, It was Gaiti's turn.

"Aur devraani jee, kaisa laga humaara surprise?", she asked Zubia, while eyeing Asfand. Zubia felt shy at the gesture and started to look down at her feet.

"Surprise ka idea toh aap ka tha bhabhi, aur gussa mujh par hua jaa raha tha. Kuch der pehle akele mein badbada rahi thi madam gusse mein, ki itna bhi kya busy ki magnetar ka phone uthaane ka bhi time nahi hai inke pass, vaghera vaghera..", Asfand said while he frowned at Gaiti.

"Achcha ji, toh devrani jee ko gussa bhi aata hai! Bachke rehna padega bhai!", Gaiti said while eyeing Afand and a small smile crept onto Zubia's face while she continued to stare at the ground.