Chapter 17

It was a few hours later and the Khans along with Dr. Shehroze, Dr. Asifa and Dr. Haroon had reached their home in Islamabad. The house was all decked up to formally welcome and honour the newest addition to the family. This was the first big event, in many years, that the Khans were celebrating, on such a large scale. After what had happened on Usman and Lubna's 30th wedding anniversary, many years back, everyone in the family felt slightly uncomfortable while celebrating anything. Usman however, was very sure that he wanted Asfi's wedding to be a grand affair. He felt that it was the least who could do for his boy, who had worked hard and proven himself to be the best son, a competent doctor and had also proved his elder brothers innocence to the world, just as he had promised to, years ago.

Lubna and Usman were relieved and content to see their younger son, break free from the clutches of the past, get married and settle down with the woman he truly deserved and loved. They obviously missed Daniyal's presence on this big day, but over time, they had learnt to believe that their elder son, was always by their side.

Gaiti too, missed her husband terribly. However, she knew for a fact that, if Daniyal knew Zubia , he would have loved her too. She also knew that her cousin cum brother-in-law was truly happy marrying a beautiful soul, who also had become her best friend! All this made her the happiest she had been in years!

Lubna, Gaiti and Dr. Asifa escorted the new couple into the house and some basic rituals took place. Then, Gaiti showed Zubia around the house and later everyone had their dinner together, while chit-chatting about the wedding celebrations. After dinner, Gaiti escorted Zubia to her bedroom. Since Zubia had to travel, she had changed out of her bridal attire before the Rukhsati and wore a maroon coloured Anarkali that had golden embroidery all over it. Though this outfit was more comfortable than the bridal one, it was still pretty heavy. Though Zubia resisted, Gaiti insisted that she'd help Zubia touch-up her make-up. She also made Zubia sit on the bed, and set the veil on her head properly, so that her face wasn't visible at all.

Zubia was nervous, to say the least. Those rose petals all over the bed, the dimly lit room and the whole atmosphere that was created, made her feel that way. She had known her husband for a while now, she loved him and had started to trust him. However, there was a lot of unresolved trauma that she was still carrying with her. Though a part of her really looked forward to this muh dikhaayi rasm, another part of her felt frightened by the whole idea of it, because the first thing that popped into her head when she thought about it, was physical intimacy. Being so close physically, to the person who had such an intense impact on her, made her feel unsafe. She didn't know if it was the inexperience with it, or something else, but she didn't feel ready for physical intimacy yet.

Zubia snapped out of reverie when she heard the door-knob click. She quickly composed herself and stared at her lap.

Asfandyar walked into the room and closed the door behind him. He was extremely nervous too. He scratched the back of his neck while he walked towards the bed and sat himself down in front of his newly-wed bride.

"Hello Begum Sahiba!", Asfandyar said softly, with a wide smile, while lifting the veil and fixing the dupatta properly on Zubia's head. Zubia smiled shyly at his exclamation, while she stared at her lap.

"All good? Kuch chahiye toh nahi aapko?" Asfandyar spoke again. Zubia just nodded her head in negative, while she continued to stare at her lap.

"Meri taraf dekho toh sahi", Asfandyar said while he held the bottom of her chin with his hand and pushed it up lightly, so she would look at him.

"Ek secret bataaun?" He whispered as he moved his face slightly closer to hers. She gave him a questioning look in response

"Main bhi utna hee clueless aur nervous hoon, jitni tum ho", He continued whispering.