Chapter 9

Hey readers! Asfiya's wedding functions begin from this chapter onwards. I just want to let you know that I'm not a Pakistani or a Muslim, so my knowledge about the wedding rituals  is limited and might not be authentic. Please overlook any such errors. I hope you all understand! 

Enjoy the Chapter!

The next morning, Asfandyar and Gaiti dropped Zubia to the airport and then went directly to the hospital. She was going to be away from Neelum Valley for only 5 days but, spending these 5 days away, felt more like spending 5 years away. It was the first time she was leaving Neelum eversince she had joined the hospital. While waiting to board her flight she thought about how this small, picturesque town that was surrounded by mountains, had become her safe space. It was this small town that had given her a bunch of genuine, loving people, who had happily embraced her, just as the person she was. Most of all, it had given her the gift of hope and taught her to take leaps of faith! Today, she felt grateful that she had left her brothers house for good, two years ago. If she hadnt left that day, how would she have landed up in Neelum Valley and met all these beautiful people that she valued so much?, she thought to herself.

A light smile appeared on her face as she thought all of these things. Though she wasn't very happy about going back to Rehan bhai's place, she wasn't distressed anymore. The conversation that she had with Asfandyar yesterday, had helped her feel confident about the fact that she wasn't doing anything wrong.

Karachi

It had been a couple of days since she came to Karachi. The last two days had passed by in a blur since all the wedding preparations were in full swing. Khala ammi and Rehan bhai wanted everything about the functions to be perfect and they were both constantly running around to keep check on all the preparations. Rehan bhai hadn't allowed Zubia to help at all. She had been ordered to take rest and enjoy all the functions to the fullest. She spent a large part of the last two days with Arham, her nephew. She went through old photo albums and told Arham stories about her life in Neelum valley. She enjoyed his company thoroughly. She even made Arham speak to Saim on a video call, when she had called Asfand. The two boys had become friends already. Zubia's bhabhi was there too. However, to Zubia's surprise, she hadn't taunted her even once in the last few days. Her bhabhi was fulfilling all her duties when it came to the wedding preparations. However, she was slightly distant with Zubia. Zubia had realised that maybe her bhabhi was ashamed of the way she had treated Zubia in the past, it seemed like she wanted to come and apologise, but couldn't muster up the courage to do so. Zubia could almost see it in her eyes.

Today was the day of the Dholki. Zubia sat in front of the mirror while one of her cousins did her makeup. Zubia wore a bright pink shalwar kameez with some green and gold embroidery all over the kameez. The embroidery on the dupatta was slightly heavier. The outfit was elegant and Zubia looked perfect! She had let her hair down today and had accessorised the outfit with a green and gold Kundan jewellery set and bangles that matched her outfit and not to forget, some beautiful gajras in her hands. She had opted for a very light makeup look, some eyeliner, blush and a pinkish-nude shade lipstick. She was glowing and the makeup just enhanced her features.

By the time, she was ready and got some pictures clicked, all the guests had arrived and her cousins had started singing and dancing, while Khala ammi and the other elderly women played the dholaks! Gaiti and Lubna joined the function via skype. While she was very happy to see them, she wondered where her fiancé was, he was nowhere to be seen. They hadnt been able to speak properly since morning, because they had both been busy. Zubia wanted to know where Asfand was, but was too shy to ask, so she decided to drop him a text instead.

The next couple of hours flew by and Zubia didn't even realise. She was stuffed with food, especially mithai. She came back to her room and changed into comfortable clothes and plopped herself on the bed. She was exhausted. For an introvert like her, talking to so many people in one day, was a difficult task. She wasn't complaining though. It felt good to meet so many of her cousins and relatives after so many years. She had to hear a few passive aggressive taunts from a few of her elderly relatives, but she managed to look past them and enjoy the function. Just when she was recalling the events of her day, she remembered that she had forgotten to text Asfand.

Neelum Valley

Today was Asfands last day at the hospital before the wedding. The day passed by in a frenzy. He had been so busy, that he didnt have time to breathe. Since he was going to be gone for at least 10 days, he had a lot of things to wrap up. Him and Zubia had exchanged only one or two texts in the whole day.

Asfand came home at around 5 pm in the evening and went directly into his room, to get ready for the small dholki function that Gaiti and Lubna had insisted they have. He took a relaxing shower and dawned himself in a Navy blue Kurta and a white pyjama. He looked dashing as always! The dholki function in the Khan household had started a little earlier than the one at the Khalils. Dr. Shehroze, Dr. Aasifa, Dr. Haroon, Dr. Zeba and a few other staff members had arrived for the dholki, while the others were on duty.

The singing, dancing and leg-pulling started off in full swing! That was bound to happen considering that Dr. Haroon and Dr. Shehroze were around. Asfand was missing Zubia and wanted to speak to her. He reached out to his pocket to drop her a text. That's when he realised that he had left his phone in his room. He wanted to go get it, but he didn't get a chance to.

Just then, Dr. Shehroze's phone rang and he went into the patio to receive it. He came back inside in a few minutes and told Asfand that he was going to the hospital to attend to an emergency case. They discussed the case briefly and Asfand and Dr. Haroon insisted that they accompany him to help with the case. The three men left for the hospital. It was almost 3 am when Asfand got back home that night. Everyone at home was already asleep. He thought of calling Zubia because not talking to her for so long had started make him frustrated. He was about to call her but decided against it because it was so late.

 He had an early morning tomorrow.

----------------------------------X---------------------------------X----------------------------X--------------------------X

Please do let me know what you think about the chapter in the comments and also vote, if you've liked my work so far!